Tiling external corners, trim or mitre?

Sponsored Links
My tuppence worth, if you can mitre the trim neatly, it finishes it off better.

Unless you've done a fair bit of tile cutting you will find the tile trim easier,especially if the walls are running out. The only time I chamfer tiles is on steps with floor tiles, when you don't have much choice.

I use good quality non-slip adhesive for the tiles and white fix and grout on the trims, it is easier than trying to grout them afterwards and also saves the tile adhesive contrasting with the trim. If you go the trim route avoid the really cheap nasty ones.

I am not saying one way is better than the other, like most things it's what works best for you.

Sponsored Links
I am on the understanding that a perfect tiling job would to use trim on any tile that hasn't got a glazed edge. If you mitre a glazed tile externally, you will have one seriously bad corner in a year or two when the tiles get elbowed a couple of times after coming home from having a few sherbets at your local.

Natural stones and tiles that have no glaze you could get away with butting up with a grout joint which looks bloody lovely I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back