TILING HELP/ ADVICE NEEDED!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I paid for a 'professional' tiler to tile my bathroom at the weekend but noticed that he broke a tile in half so that he could tile around the shower head holder (which is removalble!) Im really not happy with this as it looks terribly messy but this cowboy he tells me he 'can't' drill a hole in a tile which I just don't believe. As Im a younge woman living alone & feel he is taking me for a fool but I need solid facts to confront him with when he calls back tomorrow night. Can anyone please help me. surely a small hole can be drilled into a tile after it has been fixed to the wall and if so do you have to wait a few days for the adhesive to be fully dry or can my tiler do it there and then? Maybe the hole can put in the tile first - is this an easy job? HELP :(

Sponsored Links
From the detail you've given, he's giving you the run around. Its not THAT difficult to cut a hole in a tile, if the shower head is removable, and IF it is possible to slip the tile over, then I can't see why not, other than he's a lazy so and so.

im no tiler

yes you can cut holes in tiles
what sort of tiles are they then somone can tell you if your
particular tiles cannot be drilled

big all

Hi - I agree, I think he is giving me the total run around. Ive no idea exactly what type of tyle they are to be honest (remember Im a girl!!) they are just regular white bathroom tiles bought in a bathroom show room shop.

I have a sneakly feeling he might land up with no drill with him so Ive arrange to borrow one including all the different drill bits. . . . Im going to be one step ahead (I hope!). Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
It is best to cut the hole before fixing the replacement tile, it can be done in a number of ways best method first.

Hole cutting attachment on a manual tile cutter

Diamond or grit edged holesaw in a handheld drill

Rota zip or Dremel with tile cutting attachment

Drill a small hole, insert a tile saw in & cut the circle

If there is a cover flange for the spout it is possible to cut a square hole with an electric tile cutter.

If He's a pro he should be able to do one of these, even id the spout has a bend, so long as the rose can be removed there should be no problem.

Jason

A few things.

You need the right bits, special tile cutting bits, or a hole saw capable of cutting tiles

You have to use a SLOW drill speed and drill in stages. It is best to put tape over the centre of where the hole is to be cut, and rotate the drill BY HAND a few times in order to start the hole, otherwise the bit can wander all over the tile.

DO NOT use hammer action on the drill !! fairly obvious I suppose.

Post in the right section :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back