tiling help- walls or floor first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am tiling my bathroom and having underfloor heating

i am getting differing stories on whether to tile walls or floor first

which would u do and y?

Sponsored Links
i would say wall, but which ever you do first get dust sheets down, to save you having to scrape up adhesive from the floor, either off the tiles or on the wood.

Definitely walls first. This has been asked numerous times before - if you want to know why you do the walls first, use the search facility to search the forum.

Sponsored Links
if we intend tiling all the way to the floor then it helps to hide the more difficult to cut, floor tile beneath the wall tile.

so, we fix a batten around the wall at, say, 1 tile up from the floor. tile and grout all the walls except the bottom wall tile.

tile and grout the floor, then do the last wall tile around the bottom. done this way, the cuts of the wall tiles meeting the floor tiles, will not look as bad as the cuts of the floor tiles meeting the wall tiles.

it's simple aesthetics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back