Tiling Layout - Advice and Opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a 'rule of thumb' for determining the height a tiling border should be in a room?

My problem is ... the optimum height from a visual perspective for my 50mm mosaic border is about 1m30 from the floor. Unfortunately this passes straight through the shower control which I'm guessing isn't a good idea, right?

If I mount the border a little lower it doesn't look ideal around the window. Only 8cm above the cill. Not ideal but I could live with it.

If I use the lower height (approx 1m20) I have a second problem. I would need to cut the main tiles (400 x 250) in half. Given that the bath is fitted at a slopping angle (2.5cm over length of the bath, due to floor) I am concerned that with the part tiles, the slope will be more noticable.

Sponsored Links
I think what I'd be inclined to do is get the bath level before I started putting tiles up. An inch is a lot over the length of a bath.
Although not ideal, I can't see any major worries about having the controls over the border, but if it bothers you, would it be out of the question to move the shower controls?
Are you tiling to the celing?

Thanks gcol.

I was hoping nobody would suggest the levelling of the bath as I'm far too well in to the job now to change it (frame built and bath siliconed to the wall). :rolleyes: The problem is with the flooring joist being out of line so the overall bathroom floor is out. I wanted the bath panel to fit flush with the floor so purposely fixed the bath at an angle. I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for the mosaic border, its not so much the visual aspect of having the controls over the border but rather the fitting of the pipework and cutting the little mosaic tiles around the holes. Is this easy enough to do?

I'd rather not move the shower control as I already have the holes cut out of the tilebacker board.

I'm tiling to the ceiling (2.4m).

I would also level out the bath first as you may see the 2.5cm drop over the length of the bath.

I have tiled a number of bathrooms with plain tiles and a band of mosaics in each case I planned that the moasics went in line with the shower bar. I found it easier to arrange the mosaics around the pipework.

I do have a picture, but I'm affraid I cant seem to be able to insert a picture. :confused:

Andy

Sponsored Links
Now I'm getting worried! Two recommendations to level the bath! I'm sure that the 1'' drop will be visible if carefully viewed but will it really look that bad!?

Like I said, I've fitted the bath to get the panel level with the floor and have spent a great deal of time building a sturdy frame to prevent the bath from flexing too much. In fact the bath is now rock solid.

Andy - thanks for the response. Pity about the photo. It would have been nice to see!

better make that three recommendations to straighten the bath!!
sounds like your making life unecessarily complex by not having a level bath top (as the bath was designed to be fitted this way anyway!!)

Darren you really need to get the bath level, trust me. Not just because it'll look daft but because (depending on which was the bath slopes) you'll either have water running off one end of the bath or pooling at the other. :rolleyes:
Bug ger the bath panel and the frame. Cut the silicone and level the bath. Make another frame (it doesn't have to be Chippendale standard), panel it in with some exterior ply and tile it. It'll look 10 times better tiled than with just a standard bath panel.
Come on Darren, we're trying to save you some heartache here. A mornings work and it'll be sorted. :D

Oh well .... I guess you've convinced me. 'You live and learn!' :D

Thanks for the response guys.

Thanks for that Andy. Neat job! Perhaps I might run the border through the shower controls afterall.

Oooops... well spoted...I should know better. Did this job a few years back now and would not make the same mistake now.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back