tiling on plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hI Tiling in the bathroom and wondered if you could just tile over ply or if it had to be primed first?
Also do you have to use aqua board around a shower or is ply ok? (after all surly the tiles stop water from damaging the wood).
ROB

Sponsored Links
ElectRob said:
hI Tiling in the bathroom and wondered if you could just tile over ply or if it had to be primed first?
It doesn't need priming, but you should use an appropriate tile adhesive, like Bal White Star, or Nicobond for wood.

Also do you have to use aqua board around a shower or is ply ok?
As long as the ply is 18mm (or thicker) WBP, then it's OK.

(after all surly the tiles stop water from damaging the wood).
No - the grout stops the water. And don't call me surly.

It's not clear whether you're tiling a wall or a floor Electrob.
If flooring, have a look here for info. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77709
If it's a wall you're tiling, still have a look. ;)

If I had the choice of aquapanel or ply I'd go for aquapanel around a shower. If using small tiles I'd use plasterboard with a tanking product to prevent damage caused by the ingress of moisture.

Grout will not stop water unless it's epoxy.

Yes as gcol says, bear in mind when an adhesive or grout is waterproof it means it is not affected by water not that it will not let water pass through.

Plywood nearly always does need priming with an SBR primer prior to tiling.

Sponsored Links
alternativetiles said:
Plywood nearly always does need priming with an SBR primer prior to tiling.
Interesting.

When are the occasions when it's appropriate not to prime the plywood?

You would not prime the plywood if using a rubber crumb based adhesive like Norcros Tile on Wood. Or maybe if you are using rapid set with an admix. Or if using epoxy grout as an adhesive (which yes you can do)

Hmmm. I'm not so sure about priming ply with SBR. Sure it's recommended to apply SBR to the underside and edges of the ply but not to the surface that you're tiling onto. You apply it to these surfaces to reduce atmospheric moisture variations distorting the ply. Bal's adhesives don't require the tiling surface of the ply to be primed.

Use BAL and don't prime if you prefer it ;)

I recommend stuff based on the products I use of course but generally they hold water with everything as the theory is pretty standard. BAL is excellent but it is just one manufacturer. I use Norcros products and they recommend it to be primed first in most cases. I am not a chemist :confused: just a poor humble shopkeeper :LOL:

Bear in mind the use of primer is also to provide a good bond and seal the surface. I would recommend sealing the edges and underside too although people rarely do so.

People should read our advice on this forum but always ask specific questions to the product they are using.

alternativetiles said:
I recommend stuff based on the products I use...I am not a chemist :confused: just a poor humble shopkeeper
Which is it? Tiler, or retailer? :confused:

alternativetiles said:
People should read our advice on this forum but always ask specific questions to the product they are using.
I agree totally. It always confuses me why a poster would ask what preparation is required when all he/she has to do is turn the bag of adhesive over.

Softus, I have been in the tile industry since the early 1980's.

Worked in most aspects of the tile industry:- retail sales, sales rep, director of a tile distributor, was a tiler. Worked exstensively with Italian factories and I now have my own retail shop and offer a fitting service.

So pretty rounded experience ;) Although I no longer tile myself professionally I have tiled recently for friends/relatives. I am not professing to be a know all but I don't talk out of my backside either. Does it matter to you that much :eek: from what capacity I speak?

alternativetiles said:
I am not professing to be a know all but I don't talk out of my backside either.
I never implied that you did.

Does it matter to you that much :eek: from what capacity I speak?
It didn't until you were the person who brought it up!

You were the one who said "Which is it? Tiler, or retailer?"

So I thought I would clarify exactly which it is.

Honestly guys I can not sell adhesive to people who are miles and miles away from me so you will have to take my word for it that I am on this forum to offer some free advice to my fellow human beings not to try and scam people.

I speak with some experience and offer genuinely well intentioned advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back