Tiling on solid walls - is using just SBR enough? Is tanking needed?

Discussion in 'Tiling' started by DIYNotIan, 16 Nov 2021.

1. DIYNotIan

DIYNotIan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi tilers

The bathroom refit questions continue and I apologise for hogging the forums of late :(

This time it's tiling. We're having a shower bath and will be tiling around it. They are all solid walls (one is a solid single skin internal wall, the other two are external cavity walls). They were tiled previously, but all the tiles have now been removed and it's back to plaster ready for the refit. We'll be having small metro style 150x75 tiles, and plan to use Mapei Ultracolour grout.

One of the quotes we got spec'd that the walls would be prep'd with blue grit. However, the actual chap we're going with will be prep'ing with SBR. In fact, what he said was that they'll be "applying sbr tanking solution". having now read up on it, isn't SBR a primer and tanking something different?

I will check, but I feel quite sure just the SBR will be used before tiling. Is that enough? Is tanking necessary or overkill? Or have I misunderstood it all and the terms etc. It's all quite new to me.

Many thanks for taking the time to read (and respond if you choose to!)...

Cheers

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The smaller the tile the greater the grout lines and water penetration, though should not need tanking.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DIYNotIan

DIYNotIan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply. That's encouraging to hear.

SBR alone vs Tanking is something I've been reading more about and am getting very different opinions on. On the one hand I've read it is now British Standards Code of Practice to tank such areas, important to do, etc. On the other it's argued that it is not so important around a bath/shower (compared to a shower cubicle or wet room), especially because water Ingress tends to be most problematic in the lower areas (i.e. where the bath is).

In our case, the shower will only be used around 3 times a week I'd imagine. If that. So it won't see much action... But I still don't want the job to be a cr@p one.

Cheers

5. DIYNotIan

DIYNotIan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

Returning to this half way through.... The tiler started last week and then after Day 1 got covid and so hasn't been able to finish the job! Bit of a bngger all round really.

Anyhow, he used one coat of SBR and then started tiling onto that. By the time he returns, the SBR will be coming on two weeks old. It's quite likely he'll just crack on with the tiling, so I started looking further into whether SBR should be tiled on when dry or tacky. Some seem to think one way is right, some the other.

With regards the substrate, I said above that the walls are back to plaster. That was a lie! There's lots of the old adhesive on there. The tiler gave it a scrape before starting, so all loose bits are off. not that there were many. In fact, the whole bathroom used to be tiled so there is also adhesive on the wall where we're not re-tiling. I tried getting some off in prep for painting and it is an absolute @RSE to get off. So I'm thinking he was probably fine to tile onto it but curious to check what you guys think?

For the record, I spoke to the tile adhesive guru at Bostik (as that's what adhesive is being used). A very helpful and all round great sounding guy. I explained all the above and he said it all sounded fine, including tiling straight onto the two week old SBR. But me being me I always like to get a second (third, fourth...) opinion.

Here's a photo seeing as pictures tell a thousand words.

Cheers

IMG_20211210_195343065.jpg

6. Godwasaplasterer

Godwasaplasterer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The bottom line is , it depends on what adhesive he’s using.
    sbr is a cement additive and building chemical and as such the wrong stuff to be tiling on whatever and tanking is a last resort for damp problems or only necessary in wet rooms.
    provided the correct adhesive is used and it’s grouted properly with a decent product theres no need for either.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A multi-use synthetic polymer primer and admixture, BAL Bond SBR can be used as a bonding agent for adding to mortars used in screeding, plaster, rendering, bricklaying, pointing and repairs and as a primer for tile fixing onto timber, plaster, screeds, rendering or vinyl tiles.

9. Godwasaplasterer

Godwasaplasterer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But like I said predominantly a building chemical and if his tiler uses the correct adhesive not necessary. diluted pva does the same thing to control dust and suction.

10. Godwasaplasterer

Godwasaplasterer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You came to the right place to confuse yourself. maybe you should just let the tiler get on with it.

11. DIYNotIan

DIYNotIan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bostik MC250.

As per @foxhole 's response, some manufacturer's (but not all) actually list on the bottle that one of the uses for SBR is priming before tiling. And apparently sometimes the primer you get as part of a tanking kit is SBR. So I've read.

Haha - yes the internet! It's a great resource and complete nightmare at the same time! Perhaps I should just let him get on with it, but we all know there are good and bad tradesmen, and complete cowboys too. I'm not saying my tiler is bad or a cowboy. But if I just let each and every tradesman do his own thing, I'd never know.

Funnily enough, that is one thing that it seems the whole of the internet does agree on - NOT using PVA as a primer before tiling. Some are so against it you get the feeling they'd like to bring back hanging for the people who do use it, or even those who suggest it!

Many thanks for the responses.

• Like Like x 1