Tiling on Uneven Surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - another potentially dumb question.

Tiling in kitchen and bathroom, using normal ceramic tiles, withone layer of small glass tiles. Problem is that the walls are very uneven, having been subjected to my somewhat amateurish plastering.
Can I make the uneven even my liberal use of the adhesive? Is there a better way (please say "yes" and explain!)

Sponsored Links
Maybe you could use a orbit sander with a heavy duty glass paper to even out the bump.

I tend to use a generous amount of adhesive to pack 'em even. It works if your careful and use a straight edge over them as you go. Be prepared to take a few off to readjust.

Thanks guys - appreciate your help with this.

Any further advice will be gratefully received !

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
DavePrior said:
Any further advice will be gratefully received !
Depends how bad it is,you could skim it over with plaster finish or you could use plasterboard with dot & dab for a prefect flat wall.I did this under my wall unit to the worktop in which the tiles goes on better and nice and flat.

Nice one Masona...I gave it a skim with some pre-mix and it seems to have doen the trick. Time will tell !

Thanks again...

Just one more idea: bolt some marine ply to the wall.

or get rid of the paster and put a flat plater board to the wall, easily tiled over and will be flat as flat can be..

Made our uneven kitchen walls (what a mess, must've been a Fri a/noon job after a visit to the local !!) reasonably flat where tiling by using bonding compound (like plaster but contains glue and sets like b*gg*r all else I know). Used a nice straight edge cut to the lengths of wall (longest first) and skimmed them flat, but I didn't worry about small "dinks", gives the adhesive something to grip to. Oh, and if you don't float it you get a rough finish anyway.

There is that new Polycell product on the market, it is meant to do the job of a skim but is easy to apply. Perhaps that might do the trick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back