Tiling questions - shower tray with upstand

w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do trays with an upstand need to be recessed so that the tiles will go over the upstand? Having laid our shower tray in place it looks like there would be a gap between the wall and the upstand (about 7mm at most on one wall, less on the other).

Is there another way to tile down to the tray if recessing is a problem? Or will the adhesive be enough to ensure that the tiles are in front?

Thanks
w

Sponsored Links
My preference is to tile down in front of the upstand, for the following reasons:

1. The water seal is many times more effective.
2. The alternative makes life unnecessarily difficult in trying to get the face of the tile flush with the face of the upstand.
3. The water seal is many times more effective.

Strictly speaking, points 1 & 3 are the same, but it's such an important one I though it worthy of mentioning twice :D

I recently asked a tray manufacturer what they recommended, and they said to tile down onto the top of the upstand. When I pointed out the advantages of the alternative, the guy said the recommendation wasn't a strong one, and it was up to me to choose the best option.

Sponsored Links
I should have commented on your question about recessing.

Tiling in front of the upstand invariable means that some recessing is necessary. I'm surprised that you have a gap as big as 7mm, but if the wall is very out of square then this could happen. Hopefully you'll find that strategic hacking at the high points will make all the difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back