Timber for studwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I ordered some 4" * 2" timber for some studwork. The wood they delivered was planed smooth with round edges - perfectly ok for the job - though I just wondered whether I have ordered the right stuff so I know for next time. The studwork I have seen elsewhere was much rougher with square edges.

Also, I ordered 4 * 3 for the uprights because I read somewhere that it gives more width for the plasterboard to fix to, though now its arrived it looks a bit overkill. I guess 4 * 2 would have been perfectly ok - and cheaper.

Sponsored Links
A bit off topic, but why is timber sold as one size, but actually measures smaller, like in the link posted above?

Sponsored Links
Because the proper term for the size is "ex-4 x 2in R/S", in other words 4 x 2in is the sawn size when the timber is rough sawn. CLS is planed on all four sides from 4 x 2in and ends up 1/4 or so smaller in both dimensions. To end at 4 x 2in dead you'd need to start with 4-1/2 x 2-1/2in to be absolutely certain you'd get it

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back