Timber frame or brick - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For those that advised me earlier (see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10741&highlight=) you will be pleased to know I have decided to tear down the rear lean to and start again. The available area is only 3.3m wide by 4m deep so we aren't talking a huge structure here.

After months of research the design I am thinking of would have half the roof enclosed with a traditional pitched design using slates then the remainder glazed to allow light etc. The rear would take a folding door as would the side, hence creating a feeling of a much bigger space. I would also deck the outside to the inside floor level. This is the sort of design I am thinking of (but with a pitched roof):-

http://www.foldingslidingdoors.com/images/produc11.jpg

One thing that I can't make my mind up on and would appreciate some help with is whether to go for a timber frame or the traditional brick and block walls? It seems to me that if I went brick then I would be losing a lot of available wall space.

The options seem to me to be:-

- traditional brick and block design with cavity wall
- timber frame to take bearing weight then finish with any variety of things such as brick slips, cladding, ship lap, tongue and groove etc.
- timber frame with brick outter wall finish to match existing brickwork of flat

Now a timber frame seems easier to me on so many fronts, time cost etc. The only brick work I have done is making a bbq (although it has come up well!), but the whole idea of cutting bricks and blocks to the right size seems a bit daunting.

So any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
basill said:
So any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
I'm afraid the planning & building permission is needed because it's not classed as a conservatory ( the conservatory is accepted because it have a transparent roof )

Thanks already onto that side of things plus party wall issues as you can imagine with these London terraced flats being basically built on top of each other so you can't get away from it.

Was more interested with your thoughts on the type of building technique ie:brick vs. timber frame etc and the benefits or drawbacks of each plus other any other considerations for a novice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back