Timber stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a victorian two up two down mid terrace. Dividing the living room and the dining room is a timber stud wall that originally had lathe and plaster on, replaced with plaster board at some point when a doorway was put between the two. Directly above dividing bedrooms on the first floor is another timber stud wall.

My question is whether this wall could be supporting, and how I would be able to tell. Although the ceiling joists run from front to back across the top plate of the stud wall and do not appear to have a break in them.

From previous experience these dividing walls are usually single brick and extend from floor to first floor ceiling

In fact the only brick walls are the external walls/ dividing walls to neighbouring properties and the wall dividing the dining room to the kitchen.

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
You can't make assumptions about stud walls not being load bearing. Sometimes the only way of finding out is to investigate which can mean taking up floorboards, or if you are really planning on removing the wall then be prepared to change your design if it is actually a load bearing wall.

See here for some thoughts about load bearing walls - http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/load-bearing_walls.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back