timber yard (newcastle) + decking question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening ppl, first post here (sorry its gonna be long) i've spent the last hour reading threads on this forum so please excuse if i've missed the answer to my questions, firstly does anyone know of a timber yard in the newcastle or surrounding area where i can get 2x2 or 2x3 batons up to 8 foot in length to build the frame for my shed, i've got everything else ready to start, T&G cladding, roof boards, felt etc etc, so far i've kept the cost below £80 and dont really want to pay B&Q or Whickes prices for the frame timber.

next question,,,decking, the area is only 12 foot by 12, softish soil, the decking area will only be 6 foot by 8, just enough for a round table and chairs, the area around the decking will be gravel, i want the decking as low as possible so when im standing im not looking into next doors window so were talking about 6 inch above the ground max in total, so i figured on 4x4 concreted into the soil on the 4 corners and an extra post mid way on the 8 foot lengths (if that makes sense) i've managed to blag some 6x2 but only enough for the outsides so basically i'll be left with a frame made of 6x2, to save money could i use 4x2 or close to it for the rest of the support or will it all have to be 6x2 and will the 6 posts be enough or do i need more, last thing, is there a minimum hight the timber frame has to be off the soil taking into account i dont want to go too far past the 6 inch hight, obviously not touching the soil, it'll have a sheet under the decking to stop the weeds etc.

right then if anyone replies after trawling through all that i'll be well happy.

Be Lucky

Chilli

Sponsored Links
for the timber yard, have you tried Quay timber in Byker by the Ouseburn (just off byker bank). Slap Quay timber into Yell.co.uk and you'll get the details....
They have a fairly good stock range so might be able to sort you out....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back