Time for a clear out

2scoops0406

I don't know if any of you are experiencing the same problems as me, but in the last 6 months my PC is starting to get a bit slow. Now before we start, I know that everyones perception is that their PC gets slower with age, but having worked in the industry for more years than I care to admit, I actually baseline the performance of mine (very sad I know). I routinely do disk defrags, even though NTFS is supposed to have made this unneccessary, right! I also back up the HD's regularly and download relevant or neccessary updates. That all done, its still getting slower. After a little investigation, 'cos I knew with 99% certainty where the problem was, it turns out my PC's performance is being clobbered by all the anti virus / anti spyware / firewalls ... uncle tom cobbly and all. So my proposed solution is

Remove all software firewalls
Remove the AV scanner
Remove other bits of HD scanning detritus

Keep the spyware software
Disable ALL auto updates.

Please, please I just want my PC back. Anyone else taken such drastic steps?

BTW the AV and firewall functions will be handled by my router, and only by my router.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ed.

It's always worth doing a diagnostic of the drive using the manufacturers tools. They work at a lower level than many of the commercial disk scanners on the market.

Also have a look at regclean, the old MS chestnut, which does actually work with XP and will clear out the orphans.

I agree with the s/w firewall removal, especially if you don't use multi-homing for your broadband and network.

BTW, (unrelated) which router are you using for AV protection?

Ian

I've checked the disk, and it is performing acceptably, but it will need replacing next year probably, 'cos the bearings are starting to whine a bit. I've done the regclean stuff I've also compacted it, so the registry should be fine, but of course there's so much stuff in there it's kind of impossible to tell really.

The AV on the router bit was wrong, what I should have said, was the autoupdate of the AV software will be disabled, and it will up to me to schedule updates at a time convenient to me. Well you never know, I'll repost in DIY disasters when my machine is flat on it's back, swamped by spyware and viruses :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Seems to have done the trick, new HDD, another 1GB of memory plus removed all the auto update nonsense. Running a treat now. He He, must remember to perform regular updates now :eek:

I have been grabbing the updates from the M$ catalogue ... building a CD of them.
Having a virtually identical, but non web enabled PC, I have had fun reinstalling windows, then applying the updates from cd .. irrespective of 'roll-up files' etc, just applied the lot on historical basis.
Slapped the HDD in the other web-enable PC, installed me BT BB stuff, works like a dream... checked for updates .. non-required.
Now that was handy ... oh, one drawback.. Win98se.

I wonder how badly XP runs on a 600 P3 with 640mb ram, anyone??

empip said:
I wonder how badly XP runs on a 600 P3 with 640mb ram, anyone??

I have a similar machine, which I use just as a web browser. Obviously slower than my main machines, but does the jobby :D

Right then, 'nother new hdd ... and an XP'ing we shall go.

I have right I hope .. new hdd .. install XP do the biz with M$ .... Remove and replace or dual boot, without re-activation?

Blimey .. double blush !! Looking through filing cabinet .. tucked away in corner .. boxed, unopened, M$ Windows XP home ed. .. forgot buying it in 2002, for a shelved project.
Tis only an upgrade version, is that a downer, apart from reinstall of win98se as pre-requisite?
:D :D

empip said:
I have right I hope .. new hdd .. install XP do the biz with M$ .... Remove and replace or dual boot, without re-activation?

Not sure what ya mean here pip.

empip said:
Blimey .. double blush !! Looking through filing cabinet .. tucked away in corner .. boxed, unopened, M$ Windows XP home ed. .. forgot buying it in 2002, for a shelved project.
Tis only an upgrade version, is that a downer, apart from reinstall of win98se as pre-requisite?
:D :D

I personally dislike upgrades, but since you will be installing a fresh 98se, all should be well.

Igorian said:
empip said:

Not sure what ya mean here pip.

I personally dislike upgrades, but since you will be installing a fresh 98se, all should be well.

Meant to say, Do I have this right?
Purchase new HDD, fit as C drive in my PC.
Install 98se, then the upgrade to XP (Agreed, upgrade not best but will suffice)... Activate through M$.
I guess I could set up the new drive and XP to dual boot with current 98se hdd... without having to frequently re-activate the XP license.... ?
:rolleyes:

When I have carried out similar "upgrades", when installing the upgrade version of XP from the CD it asks for the first floppy of the 9x install set with no need to install the 9x version first.
Give it a try - its quick and you have nothing to lose except a little time if it fails!

MikeD

Cheers Mike, oi'll give it the first Win98se cd of one then !! :D :D :D :D

mikeddavies said:
When I have carried out similar "upgrades", when installing the upgrade version of XP from the CD it asks for the first floppy of the 9x install set with no need to install the 9x version first.
Give it a try - its quick and you have nothing to lose except a little time if it fails!

MikeD

Only if you installed 98 from floppy. I remember them days :D

empip said:
Install 98se, then the upgrade to XP (Agreed, upgrade not best but will suffice)... Activate through M$.
I guess I could set up the new drive and XP to dual boot with current 98se hdd... without having to frequently re-activate the XP license.... ?

You could dual boot, but would still need to activate it the first time. Or did you mean you were planning on swapping drives when you wish to change O/S? Removable drive bays would be useful for that.

Igorian said:
empip said:

You could dual boot, but would still need to activate it the first time. Or did you mean you were planning on swapping drives when you wish to change O/S? Removable drive bays would be useful for that.

Can we not dual boot from different drives on common PC...?
Must have a go with this http://thpc.info/dualboot.html

And thus we complete the circle with removeable drive bays .. we've been there before I am sure.. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back