Timed heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear experts,

I have a small problem with the central heating in the flat in that it works fine but in order for it to come automatically you need to turn on a hot water tap. this then forces the pilot light to flare up and start pumping heat into the radiators.

I am not sure why this isn't a problem for the hot water but it is a problem with the heating.

I should probably also mention that we have had plumber in to replace a wax capsule he also found it necessary to replace the pump.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a possible fix or solution

Sponsored Links
Hi there this is a persistent problem if anyone can help or offer any suggestions then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ollie

Hi there, yes its a Potterton PUMA 100 combi boiler? is there any other info i can provide which might help?

thanks

Sponsored Links
SO, have I got htis right:
you put the heating on, and nothing happens. Cold rads.
You open a tap, and close it again, and the rads warm up and stay hot as long as the heating's on.

I think he should have changed the whole diverter valve, and not just the wax capsule it contains, but I admit I haven't quite figured out why, yet!

ChrisR
you are spot on.

The heating is timed to come on once in the morning and again in the early evening. I generally have alot more success in the evening with the heating than in the morning (which doesn't help with the whole getting up for work thing)

I wonder if this might be the fact that there is less time between the heating switching off and on again in the evening than in the morning,
and because the heating is off for a longer period over night, it struggles to come back on again in the morning?

Do you think a new diverter valve have any impact on this situatuion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back