Timer switch with low-energy/fluorescent lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had been planning to use low-energy bulbs in conjunction with a timer switch, but the packaging of the switch says "not suitable for low energy/fluorescent lamps"
Why is that, and is it true for all timer switches?
I can't really see why it would matter.

Sponsored Links
Some timer switches use a mechanical contact or relay to switch on the device and these dont care what is on the other end. Some use semi-conductors to do the switching and these have problems with some loads including low energy/fluorescents.

If the packaging says its not suitable then its best to believe them!

TTC

Or you could ignore the instructions and see what happens...

I think it's better to take the advice of TTC, don't you?

he is only asking, better safe than sorry. besides from what the other post (regarding said switch) says he cant use it anyway

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Or you could ignore the instructions and see what happens...

I think it's better to take the advice of TTC, don't you?

Hee hee :LOL:
I didnt intend to ignore the instructions and use it, I was just curious as to why it mattered. My parents have the same switch, and had thought of using low-energy bulbs, so I thought I'd try to find out what the story was before they went ahead. Until I saw the same switch in the shop and read the packaging, I wouldn't have guessed that the switch was unsuitable.

Apologies for being a tad sharp.

I thought you were a "I've bought a totally unsuitable product but I'm going to use it anyway" kind of poster!!

Ive got two bulkhead fittings that have electronic mini-photocells i retrofitted. I use 11w energy saver lamps with no problems.
J

I have a timer switch, that also says its unsuitable for use with flourescents.

I tried it with a CF lamp anyway, and found that it the lamp flickered dimly all the time, even when the lights' turned off.

So I'd say the manufacturer was right!

I can confirm that some time switches will not work with fluorescent lighting.
I used an immersion heater time switch to control several fluorescent lights in a shop and it would not switch. I should have thought about it first but a lot of time switches will only work with a resistive load such as heaters etc, low energy lights and fluorescents are an inductive load.

David

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 am

David stay behind after school tonight and write out in your best handwriting:-

I must not ressurect old topics, it is complete waste of everybody's time. I am sorry I will never do it again.

I must not ressurect old topics, it is complete waste of everybody's time. I am sorry I will never do it again.

spank.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back