1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Timer switch with low-energy/fluorescent lights

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by voltaire, 14 Jan 2007.

1. voltaire

voltaire

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had been planning to use low-energy bulbs in conjunction with a timer switch, but the packaging of the switch says "not suitable for low energy/fluorescent lamps"
    Why is that, and is it true for all timer switches?
    I can't really see why it would matter.

2. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some timer switches use a mechanical contact or relay to switch on the device and these dont care what is on the other end. Some use semi-conductors to do the switching and these have problems with some loads including low energy/fluorescents.

If the packaging says its not suitable then its best to believe them!

TTC

3. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Or you could ignore the instructions and see what happens...

I think it's better to take the advice of TTC, don't you?

4. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    he is only asking, better safe than sorry. besides from what the other post (regarding said switch) says he cant use it anyway

5. voltaire

voltaire

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hee hee :LOL:
    I didnt intend to ignore the instructions and use it, I was just curious as to why it mattered. My parents have the same switch, and had thought of using low-energy bulbs, so I thought I'd try to find out what the story was before they went ahead. Until I saw the same switch in the shop and read the packaging, I wouldn't have guessed that the switch was unsuitable.

6. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Apologies for being a tad sharp.

I thought you were a "I've bought a totally unsuitable product but I'm going to use it anyway" kind of poster!!

7. streetlighter

streetlighter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ive got two bulkhead fittings that have electronic mini-photocells i retrofitted. I use 11w energy saver lamps with no problems.
    J

8. cb9002

cb9002

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a timer switch, that also says its unsuitable for use with flourescents.

I tried it with a CF lamp anyway, and found that it the lamp flickered dimly all the time, even when the lights' turned off.

So I'd say the manufacturer was right!

9. davidl46

davidl46

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I can confirm that some time switches will not work with fluorescent lighting.
    I used an immersion heater time switch to control several fluorescent lights in a shop and it would not switch. I should have thought about it first but a lot of time switches will only work with a resistive load such as heaters etc, low energy lights and fluorescents are an inductive load.

David

10. ricicle

ricicle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure it's all sorted after nearly 5 years ;)

11. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For the OP it will ( maybe ) solved. By it still happens far too often with these modern improvements to lighting.

12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    David stay behind after school tonight and write out in your best handwriting:-

I must not ressurect old topics, it is complete waste of everybody's time. I am sorry I will never do it again.

I must not ressurect old topics, it is complete waste of everybody's time. I am sorry I will never do it again.

[​IMG]

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local