to anyone with experience of replacing fridge thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have good reason to think that the thermostat on my combined fridge freezer is playing up, after researching the symptoms on the net.

I have located the thermostat on my Indesit BA13(UK) model fridge freezer, above the door behind the temperature contrl knob. I have ordered a replacement from Indesit (£20).

Now the stat itself seems easy enough to replace, but emerging from the stat and disappearing into the fridge panel somewhere is a metal wire that bends around and into the fridge panel.

If anyone has any experience can you tell me how best to remove this (does it just pull out?) and how I should route the new one.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
That "wire" is part of the stat - new one should come with one. Just find screw/clip that attaches it to the cooling element and replace.

Actually its not a wire in the electrical sense - but a conductive tube (in the heat sense) to measure the temp of the cooling element.

Have you tested that this is indeed the fault by shorting the thermostat wiring? Compressor should them burst into life.

Stevesey Wrote
Actually its not a wire in the electrical sense - but a conductive tube (in the heat sense) to measure the temp of the cooling element.

Actually it's a thin pipe called a phial that contains a gas that react's to temperature changes, as the temp increases and fall's so does the pressure in the pipe, this pressure then operates a small bellows which operates the switching action of the electrical switch. :LOL:

PS Dont Kink it :cry:

Thanks all.

Yes its def the stat cos moving the dial back and forwards causes the compressor to switch on.

The 'phial' disappears into the fridge panel. This is what i was worried about fitting because I can't see where it actually goes.

Sponsored Links
if you can't see the phial fixed to the back of the fridge then it just slides into the tube where the old one is, ie pull the old one out and push the new one in :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back