To lining paper or to not to lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my bedroom walls/ceiling completely skimmed and re-plastered in places, as the walls are a bit rubbish underneath the 3 layers of wallpaper we've just stripped. My question is this: Can I paint directly onto the fresh plaster once it's dry or do I need to put up lining paper? If I can paint directly on the plaster, should I use some kind of primer coat underneath?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can paint fresh plaster once dry. A mist coat of half water half paint for the first coat and then two coats of emulsion as usual. You may see some imperfections in the plasterwork once the mist coat is up. Fill with fine filler and lightly sand. then mist the patches and paint the whole wall.

If you intend to paper then you should really line horizontally and then paper vertically otherwise you'll end up with the edges lifting on your paper if yo don't line.

Regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back