To much information uncle sam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying an item from a reputable company in the states over the internet.
I have given them the usual info re credit card no etc, and they have now e/mailed me back saying that they want me to fax a photo copy of both sides of said credit card and a photo of yours truly. They say if I do not supply this info they will cancel my order.
I am very reluctant to do so for obvious reasons
The order is over $1000 and the item cannot be obtained anywhere else.
I have queried their request and they say it is because of regs in the states re overseas orders.
As anybody else had to supply this info and if so were there any repercussions.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if it matters whose photo you send them?

i had an American company ask me for this also! I told them that every other company is quite happy to take my money with the normal details so they can poke it! What's that all about!??

Sponsored Links
Sounds dodgy to me, and I'll bet if you sent a copy of your card, and at a future time your card was used, your card company would tell you where to get off when you said it wasnt your fault...

I have had to do this once before when ordering online from the states although they just wanted a copy of my CC, no photo.

It was a reputable company and have had no related problems.

With so much CC fraud I guess they are doing whatever they can to prove it's your card. YMMV.

With so much CC fraud I guess they are doing whatever they can to prove it's your card
fair point I suppose, I dont think I would though.

I am not sure how your photo could make the transaction more secure - they shouldn't have access to any information where they can see what you look like in the first instance.

Pehaps this is now common practice in USA, but I would be warey. Your credit card details and address should be sufficient security I would have thought..... and NOT a photocopy of your card, especially both sides. I would have thought that giving so much detail about youself would have been seen as more of a risk, especially in a country that is very vigilant on 'fake id's', etc

It might be worth contacting your Credit Card provider to ask their advice before going ahead - if it is something they don't endorse/recommend, you could loose all of this money should there be anything dodgey about the transaction.

The trouble with copying the back of the card is that it will show the 3-digit security number... who knows what might happen to your details once they are on the web?

Suppose there was fraudulent use and you were found not to have taken proper care? You could be liable for the misuse.

Thanks everybody for your advice.
Just for the record they finally agreed to waive the ruling regarding the cc information only because my son had dealt with them previously.
They say the reason why they require this additional info is because they have had a number of problems with orders from the eu.
All the same I wonder what the banks respond would be if something had gone wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back