To paint or to paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time poster, so I apologise if this ground has been covered before.

I've stripped the wallpaper and backing paper off our dry-lined walls with the intention of painting.

Although most of the walls seemed to be in a pretty decent shape, the little bit of painting I've already done has shown up a lot of - albeit relatively minor - imperfections in the walls I didn't even know where there.

I can't really afford to replaster, and there's too many little nicks to fill them all without turning the walls into a patchwork of Polyfilla blobs.

So... would painting over lining paper make the walls appear smoother or is my best bet to wallpaper?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes i'd use lining paper then paint. Use two coats, thin the first coat a little to reduce the orange peel effect from rollering. Sand lightly when dry with fine abrasive paper, this will flatten the furring down. Then apply finish coat.

Thanks.

I suppose the only question is what grade lining paper to use?

There's only a couple of walls that are really uneven so should I get 1400 for those and 1000 for the rest, or is it best to use the same grade throughout?

papergirl said:
Yes i'd use lining paper then paint. Use two coats, thin the first coat a little to reduce the orange peel effect from rollering. Sand lightly when dry with fine abrasive paper, this will flatten the furring down. Then apply finish coat.

What she said..

And, id go for 800 grade for painting over personally..its a little smoother than the 1000 grade

Sponsored Links
Don't like lining paper, it looks like what it is - painted wallpaper. There's nothing wrong with a wall being painted and showing 'character'.

joe

Not in a newish house and dry lined walls...what sort of character will that show?...the macalpinian period?

joe-90 said:
Don't like lining paper, it looks like what it is - painted wallpaper. There's nothing wrong with a wall being painted and showing 'character'.

joe

Not if its papered right, I think lining paper looks really good when papered, but it would look like paper if the butts are overlapping or have gaps, but papered properely ,it can make a lot of difference to your walls, and look really nice, if done right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back