toilet keeps filling and filling and filling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet was fitted about 5 years ago. Has worked fine till now!

Now after flushing, the toilet refills and the float arm rises, and closes the valve, but the water doesn't stop filling the cistern.

Its a bottom entry float valve with a small plastic float ( bought from Wickes)

Is it fixable? Does it mean I need to replace something in the valve like a diaphram?

Is this usuall to fail so early on?

I installed a second toilet about 3 years ago and that has failed to stop filling once as well ! but seems ok at the moment!

I'll tell you, I'm jinxed with plumbing in this house!

Sponsored Links
If the valve closes when it reaches the correct level, how does the water level carry on rising?

Tony

Tony, it's probably a torbeck type valve. They can fail in the way described. Best thing is to replace the float valve completely but consider whether you have room in the cistern for the conventional pattern with a long float arm.

Sponsored Links
It does seem to be a torbeck valve.
Are these valves usually reliable?
I find it odd that both toilets fitted with them seem to be playing up when they are 3 to 5 years old. I live in a hard water area could this be part of the problem?

I've shut down the isolating valve slightly, to reduce the flow rate to see if that helps.
The problem seems intermittant. Should I just cut my losses and install a different type of valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back