Toilet losing water very slowly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed over a long period that the water in the toilet basin is sometimes an inch or two lower than normal. Is this a leak? or can the water level occasionally drop in the bottom of the pan. I have looked under the carpet and around the pipes and pan - but no sign of damp. It is a very old toilet so if is leaking will need to get rid.

Any advice how i can check or what this could be??

Sponsored Links
You don't say what you mean by "a long period". If several days evaporation might be sufficient to lower level. Otherwise there could be some water loss caused by suction from other WC discharges in soil stack, or it could be that "deposits" (please don't ask me to be more specific) at the invisible end of the pan water seal are absorbing water and drawing it up and over into the soil pipe. Use of cleaners that will break down limescale deposits might help.

Not unknown for a crack to appear or a bit of glaze break off and the pot become porous, but this is usually indicated by a damp patch sooner or later so one of above suggestions is more likely.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back