Toilet pan not filling and poor flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

This is my first post here but I've been searching for the answer to what seems to be a common problem. I know nothing about plumbing so please excuse my ignorance.

A while back I had a new push-button toilet installed in our bathroom and the flush has been very poor since day one, typically needing multiple flushes. An observation is that there seems to be very little water in the toilet pan itself but the cistern tank is filled up to the water level mark and 3/4 of the contents is emptied when flushed.

I have a photo of the system if it would help but I don't know how to upload it here.

Can anyone offer any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
some new style WC syphon tubes can be changed without having to unscrew pipework. I havent touched one myself so i don't know how they work. The traditional ones can only be changed by

1) turning off the water supply to the WC

2) flushing the toilet then getting the rest of the water in the cistern out with a sponge.

3) unscrewing the connection to the bottom of the cistern with a special spanner (I forget what its called but the jaws open much wider than a normal adjustable spanner)

4) Take the siphon tube to a plumbers merchants and buy a whole new siphon tube for a few pounds or just a diaphragm for 20p. If i was you i would buy a whole new siphon tube to be on the safe side. In which case you could buy the same siphon tube that you have now first before you take the old one out.

You might find that when you put it back the connection under the cistern drips so you might have to put ptfe tape around the thread and/or silicon grease on the thread.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice ... I think I'll have a look over the weekend ... it can't get any worse !

I get a lot of people saying this when they have changed from an old cistern to new.

Its quite often due to the water regulations, no more nine litre flushes

just a mere 6 litres down the pan.

Have you tried holding the button down single button type are dual flush
push and let go for a short flush, hold down for a full flush.

Or it could be a badly moulded pan, as you have said already the cistern is filling an empying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back