Toilet Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my first post so please be gentle,

I wish to replace the toilet in the downstairs cloakroom and wish to move the soil pipe back a little. at the moment there is, what I believe to be, a clay soil pipe, about 6" outside diameter, rising straight up from the concrete base about a foot below the floorboards. The top of the soil pipe has a large circular recepticle cemented onto it and then a plastic swan neck toilet connector is then cemented into this recepticle. The problem is that the circular lump of cement that the toilet connector is fixed in is about 7.5" in diameter and protrudes above the floorboards. This is stopping the new toilet from moving far enough back to reach the connector and if I extend the connector to reach the toilet, the door will hit on the toilet seat.

Would it be feasable to cut the clay pipe below the cemented on connector and then fit plastic pipe to it with an offset and end up with a push fit plastic connector at floorboard level for the toilet to connect to. If so, what is the best way to cut the clay pipe (angle grinder, saw etc) and what would I need to couple platic pipe to the clay pipe.

Any other suggestions or advice are very much welcome.

Here is a picture to make it all a bit clearer.

ToiletConnector.jpg

Many thanks

Russell

Your picture does not work, I can not correct it,(url is wrong) I suggest you use the
icon_edit.gif
button to correct it

Sponsored Links
Lift the floorboards and cut clay right next to the oversite ....ground under the floor ;) then you can get any nunber of fittings to move the new plastic pipe around .....plac.to clay connector is just one of them available from plumbers merchant

An angle grinder would be hard to get in but if its comming through concrete then you can normallybreakthem off at floor level then tap off any jaggy bits. you allready have a plastic straight pan connector going into the bent one. if this stil has its rubber seal with it they will often push inside a clay drain & then u could put a pan connector extension into that or even plastic soil pipe. Another option is to get a flexi bent pan connector that will push straight into the inside of the clay drain once lowered the can be easily bent to where u want it.

Sponsored Links
If you remove your pan connectors you might win with one of these
12712.gif

but it's likely the pan will need to be too far back.

OK, thanks for that,

The wooden framework around the connector is going to come out because it has had a lot of water leaking into it over the years and is pretty manky. So, with this all removed, I should be able to get in there with an angle grinder and, even if I can't cut through it completely, I should be able to score it so that I can get a clean break.

I think the drain pipe comeing out of the ground is 160mm clay pipe, So I'm hopeing it is going to be simple to get an 160mm to 110mm push fit adapter. If so then hopefully it should be plain sailing (famous last words!)

Just one other thing, are there any building regulations that I should be aware of regarding what I have described here.

Thanks once again

Russell

not really .just go for it. break it off then try that pannconnector uve got left to see if it will fit in ya clay pipe.

If you use an old(non sds) type hammer drill and a sharp say 4mm bit you can make a weak point in the clay pipe without making the awful dust an AG does, and without risk of brealing too much. Make a series of holes to make a V shape and you'll find you can work away from that with a hammer to break bits off.
I think the drain pipe comeing out of the ground is 160mm clay pipe,
Really? Usually they're 4 inch bore and the end of the pan connector goes into the middle - as your current one does.

I roughly measured the outside diameter of the pipe and it was around 6 inches but obviously, at the moment, I cannot measure the inside diameter.

Is the wall of the clay pipe likely to be 1 inch thick which would then make it 4 inch bore, otherwise I might have problems coupling to it.

Russell

If that clay saltglazed pipe aint a 4 inch bore .......I`ll come down from Sussex and do the job for you Gratis :LOL:

I really hope you're right as it will make the job a lot easier. I'll let you know when I've done it, and don't worry, I won't hold you to your offer although I may need some more advice.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice, it has been a great help.

Russell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back