Toilet Waste - Long Distance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning on installing a toilet upstairs on the 1st floor. An ideal position is in the center of the house. The problem is the distance to the existing soil pipe which can be split in to 2 stages:

About 3 meters to the back of the house with about 1 foot drop available.

Once through the back wall the pipe will be in the loft of the extension to the back of the house. About 6 meter with 2 foot drop available until the pipe reaches the back of the extension which is above the existing bathroom - then 2 meteres verticall drop in to the existing waste system.

Is this possible with standard waste? If not what about a saniflow? or shall I just scrap the idea all together? I will also need waste for the sink.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I am not expert on max pipe runs - but that sounds like a long way to carry the waste - I have used a saniflow unit in my cloakroom and have a sink ( in utility) washing m/c and WC and Basin plumbed into it - works fine unless you drop siomething hard inot one of the wastes..!

I would use one - it has the advantage that you only need run much smaller pipes to you main waste stack - easier to fit - plus you know the waste will flow out with the pump...

Good luck...

You only need a fall of 1:40 which is not very much and you have plenty of space available to you according to the dimensions quoted.

Its a common fault to make the slope greater and that leads to the deposition of solids.

One of the colleges had a clear plastic waste pipe to demonstrate the effect of too great a slope but I dont remember what the "solids" used were.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Make sure there's rodding access for the pipes.
If there is a rodding eye, you'll never need it,
If there isn't, it will block every time you use it.

Agile, i was thinking about your comment, is it because all the liquid runs away, and some of the solids stick?

then repeat, repeat, etc and eventualy a blockage?

I fix boilers but those who have studied plumbing will tell you that if the fall is only slight the water depth will be greater and it will push the solids along.

If its too steep the the water will run faster, be shallow and just run past the solids leaving them behind.

Some people find the concept difficult to immagine but when they see the clear pipe demonstration they realise just how important it is.

Tony

agree totally with Agile.

on the subject of distance, you talk about a 9metre run. the minimum fall for this distance is 225mm or less than 1foot.

it is the 90deg bends that are the problem. as has been said earlier, fit access cover type bends and you will have no worries.

and don't worry too much about vertical drops either, it won't harm the shoite. ;)

there may be an issue of sound travel through the pipe runs. it could get noisy in the mornings. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back