Tongue and groove non-flammable void???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to tongue and groove (fixed to battens) full height to ceiling on a bathroom wall but a friend says that the void behind has to be flame-proofed in some way according to building regulations?

Anyone able to tell me anything about this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
mmmmm not shure if you can call an area 12mm deep with a batton crossing full length every 18"inches or so a "void"

what does that make stud walls then :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
the difference is that a stud wall will have 30 mins fire protection with the plasterboard!! but i were you i would just do it , it might be a problem if the partition was running the full height of the house ( as in timber framed houses ) and needs a fire barrier , but not surely in a bathroom :eek:....where is the fire gonna go??? .... one classic example of voids and fire spreading was windsor castle , thats why the fire spread so fast , but not just within one room :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back