Tools required for fitting skirting boards ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!

We ae just about to replace the skirting boards in our small 3 bed semi – 10 years old. Current skirting boards tiny and been abused so they are all off and down the tip that’s the easy part done. Now onto the difficult bit I’m not sure what tools we will need to do this. I’ve browsed this forum and now know all about mitres & scribing but there seems to be a variety of views on tools:

So can anyone out there give me a very simple list of tools needed – we are starting from scratch and have very little experience and ideally would like to keep costs low as poss but we do want power tools as time is short – 3 weekends only before new carpets and 5 rooms plus hall to do.

Do we need? Mitre Saw or Circular Saw? Will either do both jobs?
Work bench? Do we need any attachments?
Mitre Box? Is this required with the mitre/ circular saw?
Anything else?

If we buy cheapish tools say from Screwfix? will they do the job OK?

I’d really appreciate your thoughts/ experience/ advice.

Sponsored Links
I'm currently fitting some new skirting in the bathroom. Only tools I need are:

Mitre saw (£8 (after 50% reduction) from homebase)
Bosch Cordless drill for driving the screws into the groundings, however, I have to fit my own groundings because the cowboy tiler we hired, tiled over the original ones lol.

That's pretty much all I'm using. No circular saw needed as I'm not cutting the skirting vertically :); just mitred the end cuts 90* to fit square.

Good luck.

Oh and if you need drill bits, I can recommend a 300 piece set from homebase (you have to order online though) for about £21 inc. delivery. I'm really chuffed with it.

Sponsored Links
Hey Snewman I found a picture of it online :):

aa%20mitre%20saw%20w%20extension.gif

However, I have a feeling that the offer has ended now though :(. Maybe it was only reduced in my local store but still good for £16 though ;). If you do happen to buy one, get the self assembly one; very easy and simple to set up and takes about 15 minutes ;).

EDIT: Stupidly, I just realised that the image of the mitre saw has already been posted by gcol :oops::

One of these: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A335557&ts=46111&id=77766[/QUOTE]

Oh and thanks to gcol, I've just been reminded that I need to buy myself a coping saw :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back