Tornado router cutters from Rutlands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a eureka moment! I've been using a combination stile and rail cutter( the type where you cut the rail ends, then change the cutter height to cut the stick) from Trend to make up some small panel doors, and I was wondering why my joints weren't turing out perfect. It's just dawned on me that one cut is made face down, while the other is made face up. Duh!
So unless my timber is exactly the same thickness (I don't have a thicknesser - I write embedded firmware for a "living", making sawdust is just a hobby) this is unavoidable. So, to get to the actual question, how good are the Tornado cutters sold by Rutlands? They seem reasonably priced, and I've found Rutlands to be a good company to deal with. Or can anyone recommend a "best buy" for 1/2 inch stile and rail cutters?

Sponsored Links
bought the pair of toledo cutters when thet where on special some time ago they seem well manufacture but that doesn't sort out the quality of the cutter :D :D

and unfortunate i havent tried the cutter in anger :D

These wealden cutters cut both parts with the face side against the router table so any variation in timber thickness will be on the back of the door. You can also buy just the spare profile cuters so get another profile without the cost of a whole set

Jason

Nice try, but look again... Scribe end of rails face up, profile rails and stiles face down. Step tow is just to aid setting the height of the cutter.
I think I'll either have to buy a pair, or make a special work holder for scribing the rail ends that wedges the stock up against a fixed datum.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back