Toshiba TV - Common fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I initially purchased a "graded" Toshiba 28" widescreen CRT TV (Model 28ZD28) which after approx 3 months developed a fault where it would not power on and stayed on standby.

The TV was exchanged for a Toshiba 30" LCD screen (Model 30WL46) which was working until recently where it has also developed a fault where it would power up if left on standby but when turned off at the power switch and back on, just a green timer led (labelled with a clock) came on instead of the expected red standby LED (then brought out of standby using the remote). It also makes a low quiet whistling noise while like this. I initially thought this may of been a power on timer of some kind and so disabled this in the tv menu, when I could get the TV powered on (took several tries to get it to power on) and left the tv on standby. Then yesterday the fuse in the tv blew and I replaced it with another with the correct rating and powered the tv back on o.k. The manual does mention that removing power to the tv resets all the menu's to default.

I then powered it off again later as the Manual said not to leave the TV in standby and it now won't power on at all other than the green timer light.

Is this a common fault with TVs, it does seem odd this has happened to two Toshiba tv's (admittedly "graded") in a relatively short space of time.

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
In modern tv power supplies any component out of the hundreds inside going faulty will cause the power supply to close down.Power supplies are now fitted with over current and over voltage sensors that are activated whenever any component goes faulty.This is for safety and this is the reason why tv's catching fire is not common these days.In your case even though the symptoms are similar there is no reason to think that the cause is the same. If your led's are flashing or stopping on in standby or showing a differnt colour than normal it is an indication that the tv is in trip mode and an internal fault has occured this is not a diy repair or adjustment and a workshop repair will probably be required.

tockworth,

Thanks for the info, I wasn't intending on trying to fix this myself. Although I work with computers, servers e.t.c I know enough to know that this is not something I could or should attempt to fix, as you mentioned TV's catching fire is one big reason not to!

It just seemed odd to me that I have had two TV's with what seemed to be the same fault. From your info I now know that this is not the actual fault but just a symptom of one of many possible faults. I guess this is a risk you take with graded equipment.

A friend advised me to look at higher end brands for LCD screens like Panasonic or Sony. I was under the impression Toshiba were a high end brand? or is that just for the old CRT TVs?

Thanks again for info, explains a lot.

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back