Towel rail too hot!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I recently had a towel rail fitted as one of 7 radiators in my new central heating system.
I have a Worcester 24i combi boiler supplying the hot water.

The plumber fitted standard towel rail valves rather than TRVs to the towel rail because he said the towel rail should always be left fully open as a bypass.

The problem is the towel rail gets too hot to touch even if the boiler is on low.
I'm sure I could fix the problem by fitting a TRV but I'm worried I'll break something because of the bypass thing.

Can anybody help me sort this one out?
If a child touches this thing they could get burned it's that hot!!

Thank you very much for your help.
Regards,
Damian

Sponsored Links
THERMOSTATIC RADIATOR VALVES
If thermostatic radiator valves are to be fitted to the system then
they must conform to the requirements of BS2767:1972. It is advisable
to leave one valve permanently set at maximum to prevent the boiler
short cycling.

extract from the users instructions

Could have a bypass fitted between flow and return enabling this rad to be put on a TRV and curing your problem.
Will involve extra work which = extra cash. :D

Thanks Bacho!
Does fitting a bypass just mean joining the flow and return immediately before the towel rail with an extra piece of pipe?

I'll get the plumber back to do this if it's as easy as that

Cheers,
Damian

Sponsored Links
I believe that new regs state that an automatic bypass must be used where there is not one fitted in the boiler.
Kev will confirm ;)

Thanks a lot guys I'll get my plumber to fit a bypass for me at the towel rail and change the valve for a TRV.

Can't be having kids stuck to me towel rail can I! :LOL:

An automatic bypass fitted on the return and flow near the boiler would be sufficient and the rads with trvs would be suffecient, it does not need to be at the towel rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back