Tracing wiring fault on PIR security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to locate a fault with an outside 500W PIR security light.

There is one double wall point with twin dimmer switches, the left hand switch controls the internal light which works and the right hand switch controls the external light.
The wiring is as follows: left internal light is connected L1 -red and COM- red, on the other switch -external there is one red wire connected to the COM connection.
All other connections Black wire connected together, and all earth wires together into the metal wall casing.
I have tested the external light and there is no current getting to it at all,
also the one Red wire going into the wall point (connected to COM for the right hand switch shows no current.
So my question is - do I have a break or malfunction in the external lighting wire or are the connections in the wall point incorrect.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
so i take it it has suddenly stpped working, it may be the lamp or light fitting as they do not have that long a life, are you testing with a "tester" or multi meter? the reason I ask is that "testers will not show the neutral and give false readings.

It seems more likely that as it has been working fine that either the lamp or fitting has gone

Sponsored Links
The tester I am using is the insulated screwdriver type, and will indicate the presence of current on shielded cables etc from Homebase- £8.00.

I think I am probably out of my depth, because of the wiring at the interior wall plate.

The PIR itself shows no signs of current on any of the connections, the lamp looks ok, I did buy another 500W PIR but because of the lack of current have not bothered to install as I assumed the problem lay elsewhere

look at it this way, it was working now it has stopped working, you havent touched the cables or wiring (untill you decided to "investigate" ) so cahnces are its the lamp or fitting try the lamp first

how old is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back