Transferring files over from old to new computer - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old is a 1989 desktop running Windows 98. New is running XP. The old doesn't recognise my flash card, doesn't have a CD writer and cannot now send emails as we've gone BT Broadband with a Home Hub.

How do we transfer our old files over to the new computer? Somebody suggested removing the hard drive and fitting it in the new computer but this is like asking me to perform brain surgery.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
does the old machine have USB? Are they both desktop or tower PCs (not laptops)?

Would you be willing to consider fitting a new drive (hard or CD writer) to the old machine is someone talks you through it (it is surprisingly easy)? You could swap the CD writer from your new machine with little risk of causing damage.

Have you got the Windows XP installation disk?

You can use the file and settings transfer wizard to actually do the transfer. Details of the wizard can be found here.

You can connect the two PCs via the hub, or with a serial cable or a cross-over cable or even a USB cable.

Moving the drive is actually even easier than setting up the network as you already have everything you need at hand.

His old m/c is Win98, so no Wizard, I think.

Edited:
oops, sorry, my mistake :oops: - I didn't know you could do that!

Sponsored Links
Crikey! Reading that lot the grey mist descends. We haven't got the software for the old computer because the shop that built it for us didn't supply it. Sound familiar? I think the easiset way would be to temporarily install the new drive in the old computer, though I wouldn't feel confident to do this.

I think we're going to need to find a computer "doctor". Where to start?

Swapping the disk over is EPLS!

Disconnect your old PC and take the cover off, you'll see how the disk is fixed in with a couple of screws at each side, and you'll see its ribbon cable. Notice the cable will have two plugs on it for disks (your old one will have IDE connectors which is the same as is used for CD drives) and there is also a power cable. Notice that the plugs have to go in one way round - draw yourself a diagram for position of the red trace on the ribbon, and which side it goes.

If you look inside your new PC you will probably find it has space for an extra hard drive, and it will probably have suitable cables in there too (although the latest hard drives have a different kind of connector).

Have a look and identify the connectors and fixings first, then when you feel brave come back and we can talk you through it.

p.s. I always like to back up files and settings to CD before fiddling with a PC, just in case...

Open up your new computer and have a look at how the hard disk and CD/DVD drive are connected. Are they connected to the same ribbon cable or do they have separate cables?

Er, Gentlemen, I really appreciate your efforts but I'm going to cop out and take it back to PC World, where I've just discovered that they will transfer everything over for you for £14.99.

This is probably the equivalent to you of someone on my cycling forum saying they'll take the bike to a shop to get a puncture fixed.

Now.... the reason why I went to PC World? To check that the Belkin Wireless USB adaptor is still working. We had to cut the power this afternoon, when the power was restored the computer started up on its own (should it do that?) and the wireless connection seemed to have failed. After much clueless faffing around it looked to me as if the adaptor wasn't working. I tried to restore it but it wasn't having it. PCW say it's okay and advise me to reload the software, which I have just done, and it looks as if that had deleted itself in the power cut. Is this possible?

Sorry to seem such a moron. If you want your bike or your Land Rover rebuilt I can do it, but not computers!

Rigid, where in lancs are you? I might be able to help out, drop me a mail. I cant say any more here or I'll get dun off Mr and Mrs Admins

Yowch! I was watching the nice American man when the video stopped and all hell broke loose. Computer went all wierd and then told me it had just recovered from a major fault. Hope it wasn't the vid!

Eggplant, we're in Blackburn. Are you a computer "doctor"?

PC World have done the switch over for us and even left our old hard drive in the new computer for us. But we could still use a bit of help on setting this one up and getting rid of some irritating stuff that came free with it, like the AOL demo I can't seem to supress.

PCWORLD !!!!!

LOL what a coincedence, I'm in Blackburn also, have a small shop, mainly do onsite, small/medium businesses, education and of course home users like you. drop me an email, my personal email is in my profile. I'd better not post company website or email addy here or I'll get in bother lol.

Sponsored Links
Back