travertine vs limestone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey - i'm doing up my shower room and am stuck between getting either limestone or travertine.

Limestone is lighter in colour, more even, simple and elegant. Porous tho and not as hard wearing apparently

Travertine is a stronger stone, rustic looking but darker, and when filled looks odd in my opinion.

a friend of mine used to have a limestone bathroom and despite getting it sealed properly, it still stained and was quite hard work to maintain she says.

what d;ya reckon?

Sponsored Links
ok gonna answer my post as no-one else seems bothered!

Despite contrasting opinions from other sources, as Travertine takes longer to form as a stone I think likelihood it is also harder/less porous

Still I'm going for the limestone. Even if porous if you seal the hell out of it, and re-seal once a year (and plan on selling the house at some stage not to far off in the distant future!) you'll be fine.

limestone is a more neutral looking stone and so when it comes to selling I think you'll have less problems in having people liking the look of it

We've just had Travertine laid in the kitchen and it looks stunning! We had a random pattern with the chipped edge look, not cheap though

I would go Travertine but if you have a holy one make sure you fill the backs of the tiles to fill the holes with adhesive as well as the fronts with grout. Seal really well with Lithofin stain stop.

Limestone is very susceptable to staining.

Have you considered the many excellent man made porcelain tiles that look similar but are stain proof and require no sealing?

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the many excellent man made porcelain tiles that look similar but are stain proof and require no sealing?

But doesn't this defeat the object? The very reason I went for stone was because it wasn't man made.

It's just a matter of choice, bear in mind that some man made tiles are so good you can not easily tell. I have some in my shop that are very close in every way.

Go for travertine ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back