Tree roots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several tree's which used to be part of the boundry between us and the nieghbours.

We have just put a 6ft fence on the boundry instead and was wondering how to get rid of the tree roots.

I have cut the tree's off level with the ground as they were to deep to pull all the roots out.

Is there something i can do to prevent them growing again on our side?

Can i do something to make the roots rot and crumble ready for when i dig the area over in the future?

Sponsored Links
What I did & it worked took a few years though. I drilled the stump & poured brushwood killer (as against weed killer).

You can also hire a stump chipping machine that nibbles them away below ground level so they rot away quickly (or get a tree pruning co to do it)

Sponsored Links
TravisPerkins do it for about £40 + VAT. Be warned its quite hard work, as they are heavy, but they do the job!

Are these tree stumps, or just strong roots?

I have dug out several shrubs recently which had these thick roots.

I used an ordinary spade, but after it was in the soil, I hit the top of the blade repeatedly with a sledge hammer. That slices through the roots, you can pull quite a few out, but the rest should soon rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back