Wet patch on external wall near downpipe (edited)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sooooo

Finally got my room re plastered and re-decorated by some ‘professionals’. Plaster wouldn’t dry on a few sections - near the chimney, and on the two walls that connect, one is a party wall that connects to an external wall.

I’ve already had a bash and made it worse by using a heater to dry it, so below for context. I think the heater just made the moisture spread up the external wall in the LHS.

IMG_7787 Medium.jpeg

They used heaters to dry the walls out before painting, and not long after the paint started peeling. Efflorescence crystals underneath i think as it’s a bit sparkly on the whole bottom bit of paint.

IMG_7658_Original.jpg

Spoke to them and they said it was a damp problem so nothing to do with them. Cheers!

Anyway so starting my investigations as though it’s annoying they are probably right re damp. Primary cause i think is the wall for the front garden bridging the masonry wall - neighbour has their gutter draining there and there are bits of the concrete missing between the bricks in the masonry. We have pebble dash render and I think that has meant water is very able to seep through and then getting stuck. Front garden is also concreted over - possibly above the DPC but there isn’t any damp anywhere else on the external wall so far so don’t expect its that.

Going to start by hacking away any concrete thats on the front wall and bridging high up, then going to find someone to fill the bricks in so that’s at least sealed.

Any thoughts appreciated. Can only post two pictures from my phone due to site limits it seems so appreciate that’s not ideal

Sponsored Links
Heating has no effect on spread , painting can’t start till walks are all dry .Only external pics are helpful .

Last edited:
IMG_7763 Large.jpeg

Ok can upload them now. Drainage and wall i think causing the problem. Gutter pipe was pointed against the wall but i’ve since moved it

Attachments

• IMG_7769 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7769 Large.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Im not sure - i am the house on the right. Gutter pipe was pointed at the dividing boundary wall, so moved it slightly to the right. My gut says the boundary wall was being pumped with water from the drainage that was being channeled then into the wall it connects too. But not sure if that was what was really happening. Guessing only way to test it is to wait out the winter and see if any new patches appear??

You should brush water seal around the area to help protect against excess rainwater seeping into the brickwork.; preferably before winter as the temperature needs to be 10 degrees or more. Wait for spring and a dry spell then clear away the loose stones and thoroughly seal the whole area.
Repeat annually for complete protection.(y)

Water seals trap the moisture in the wall so could make it worse as walls need to breathe out what they absorb. Let the wall dry for a good 12 months, in the meantime check potential sources of penetrative and rising damp, it might be more than the down pipe which needs properly connecting to a soak-away or otherwise made to discharge safely away from the house.

Blup

Water seals trap the moisture in the wall so could make it worse as walls need to breathe out what they absorb. Let the wall dry for a good 12 months, in the meantime check potential sources of penetrative and rising damp, it might be more than the down pipe which needs properly connecting to a soak-away or otherwise made to discharge safely away from the house.

Blup
Point taken: although i'd say i've used it and can see the difference it makes on the affected area.
This stuff really works...other brands are available.

And the gap left behind after moving the d.pipe will need to be filled in otherwise water will find a way...obviously.

Damp has penetrated your wall.
It could be a mixture of penetrating damp and rising damp?
Its going to continue - its not going away.
Your situation can be helped but it will involve more questions and require more pics?
Do you want to go ahead on those terms?

OP, ask the mods to transfer your thread to the Building Forum.

If your neighbours DPC is above the level of the gravelled area you may be getting damp through where their wall joins yours below the level of the gravel. If that is the case, then you need some form of vertical DPC inserted/injected to prevent it happening.
I'm a bit curious to know if that 12"-15" concrete 'skirting' on their walls is also bridging their DPC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back