Tricky folding door question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum after trawling the net for hours looking to a solution to my problem. Hopefully someone can offer some solutions!

To the rear of my house I have a yard with large wooden gates that are bi-fold, these open out onto a lane which I access with my car. Now the problem is I've gone and bought a new car that's too big and won't fit through the current size opening. I'm planning on extending this by another 3 foot by chopping down a bit of wall to make the opening larger - my question is - is there anything I can use that would be lighter than wood, that would fold (as I'm restricted for space) that will give me some secure doors to the back of my yard. Currently the gates aren't in a frame and the weight of them is pulling them away from the wall, so I don't think it's feasible to add another panel. I've looked into a roller shutter, but have been told I'd need planning permission to erect a frame for it to sit in.

I'm at a loss as my gates just need to be a bit wider, but I need a better solution than heavy wood folding gates.

Any help grately appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Also is it possible for a rough drawing plan with measurement?

A sliding gate maybe?

Sponsored Links
Fit a castor to the opening edge of the gate to support the weight

Oooo... I didn't expect so many replies! :D

Thanks all so far! To give you a little more info the total opening is roughly 18ft, there's two small suporting walls on either side which are 2ft in width (I'm mid terrace, so there are neighbours either side) and the total thing is about 5.5ft high. The reason for seeking some sort of folding mechanism is that when I drive my car in, there is only 2ft left behind the car to shut the gates - hence I couldn't just have 2 gates, otherwise when I drive the car in, I won't be able to shut them. I also can't have anything opening outwards onto the lane, as it is only the width of a single car.

We've also been told by the planning department that anything we put up msut be 'inkeeping with the area' even if it doesn't require planning, or we will be asked to remove it! :eek:

I hope this all makes sense - I will try and upload some pics to make the problem a bit clearer! :rolleyes:

Can I ask why you need a gate for? Is it to stop them nicking your car?

Spendmore said:
We've also been told by the planning department that anything we put up msut be 'inkeeping with the area' even if it doesn't require planning, or we will be asked to remove it! :eek:

Yes, well they can always ask, but that's it.

to answer your question masona - it's not just pinching the car, the gates are at the end of a 30ft garden and I don't really want people coming round the lane and wandering into my garden! I've already had 3 people jump the existing gates! :eek:

We have zig zigs and double yellows at the front of the house, so parking is to the rear, or nothing basically! :(

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a return wall approx 10' on each side into your garden then fit a gate of how you want as the gate opening will be against the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back