Triton Topaz T100si runs cold

PJP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had my Triton Topaz T100si 8.5kW for 2 years now, its been fine but its being going hot and cold on a daily basis for the last month.

From what I can see I am presuming the this shower has two forms of temp control: one is the standard flow valve and then there is a bunch or electronics to maintain the temperature once set.

-The heat exchanger scale trap has been needing cleaning nearly every week (rather than months) just prior to it going crazy

-it seems to now only show 19-27 (rather than 38-54) degrees c on the display, when the knob on the front is turned (suggesting the control circuit is still working), and the water pressure does not appear to change when the temperature (albeit too cold) is changed

-the eco and cold buttons work still (you hear the relays switching)

I have already tried the following:

-Cleaned filters (all)

-buzzed out all components on the control board and they measure as expected

-heat exchanger 2 elements measure 15ohms and 11ohms across "phase" and "neutral" connections, this would work out to be around 8.5Kw
(the heat exchanger feels quite hot after use)

-emptied and refilled shower as per the instructions

Any ideas....?

could this just be a faulty/furred up exchanger unit or is the flow valve dead?

Sponsored Links
I would say the heating can element is scaled up and needs replacing.

gas4you said:
I would say the heating can element is scaled up and needs replacing.

Thanks gas4you,

if the element was scaled up, would this result in the exchange unit getting hot, but not actually heating the water...?

Other thing is this only started happening when I replaced the shower head to the new type T100si one.... its different to the old one...it does not appear to scale up like the new one...

The power would still be there to heat it, but as the scale is present the water would not get through it of the heat would not be transferred to the water. Scale is a very good insulator of heat.

Sponsored Links
PJP, I think you should re post in the elecrtics uk section, as I don't believe your problem is plumbing related.

Quezer.

And sorry, but surely you'd have to have solid chalk coming out of your taps to ruin a shower can in 2 years?

Well thanks for your input G, helpful as always...

I am surprised you didnt just suggest replacing all the electronic components with wire links and then killing yourself... :D

now get back to changing those Tantalum bead capacitors (10uF/35v) you lazy sod :LOL:

My solid chalk coment was a response to gas4you, a shower can will last longer than 2 years even in the hardest of water areas.

Say hello to Peter in the morning for me.

How long does your kettle last before it needs a good clean out? Around here it's about 6 months when it's been used to boil about 5 Litres a day.

A shower can is heating, say, 20 litres of water a day?........

Does the thing behave better if you re-fit the old head?

The need to frequently clean the scale trap should be telling us a story... Something like enough limescale has built up in the heater can to cause local overheating, which breaks up some of the scale, which then ends up in the trap?

gman76 said:
My solid chalk coment was a response to gas4you, a shower can will last longer than 2 years even in the hardest of water areas.

Say hello to Peter in the morning for me.

It is my experience that shower cans can indeed scale up badly after 2 years, sometimes less. The hotter you have the shower the quicker it will scale up, hence manufacturers warrantys excluding any scale faults.

gman76 said:
You're fundamentally wrong on that point. I have many clients in a renowned hard water area, and many of the cans were replaced after little more than a year. In one case the replacement can had to be replaced after a further six months of 'tenant abuse'.

TicklyT said:
Does the thing behave better if you re-fit the old head?

The need to frequently clean the scale trap should be telling us a story... Something like enough limescale has built up in the heater can to cause local overheating, which breaks up some of the scale, which then ends up in the trap?

No, same with old head. Whats odd is that with the old head, the scale mainly ended up in the head itself and the scale trap didnt need doing for ages. With the new head the scale trap clogged up within a week but there was not much in the head itself.

It appears Triton changed the head design (the new head is sold with newer T100si units) with is supposedly compatible with the earlier showers...

Also Ive measured 230v on both elements and it doesent vary when the flow knob is moved...

The manual seems to suggest a descaler "built in". not sure how that is supposed to work.

(PS:- Triton customer support is as useful as a broken shower...)

I'll be ordering a new can then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back