Trolley Jack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We all know to use axle stands when we lift the car with a trolley jack to get underneath but does anyone know of trolley jack on the market that has a height locking mechanism
so axle stands don't have to be used?

Sponsored Links
DIYspanner said:
We all know to use axle stands when we lift the car with a trolley jack to get underneath but does anyone know of trolley jack on the market that has a height locking mechanism
so axle stands don't have to be used?

They all have a locking system, which must absolutely not be trusted, stands mounted on a hard, level and stable surface, you'll look a right whatsit wearing your car on your chest.

DIYspanner said:
does anyone know of trolley jack on the market that has a height locking mechanism so axle stands don't have to be used?
It's an intriguing idea, but I've never heard of one.

Sponsored Links
[They all have a locking system]

True enough, they have.Its a valve shuts of the return of the hydraulic fluid
from the ram to keep the arm raised.

My idea of locking a trolley jack is to use an integral mechanical system.

I know axle stands give you confidence that the vehicle will not come down on you but you have to get underneath to position the stand in the first place and it has to be on
a reliable loading point!

Do I assume I'm wasting my time looking for one?[/quote]

I don't do this sort of thing any more... but I've seen cars come off jacks a few times.

Falling off sideways a couple of times, and gracefully subsiding a few more. Once when I was underneath (but the wheels were still on so I didn't get squashed). It can be quite frightening. It could be very bad if you were in a garage out of sight and sound of any potential rescuers.

I would never get under a car just on a jack now. Even kneeling or lying beside it with my arms or legs underneath while I work on something.

If changing a wheel at the roadside I put the spare under the sill so it will hold the car up if it goes over.

If you can't see how to put stands under a car without getting underneath it, think again.

I get the impression you don't see any problem and don't want to bother :rolleyes:

[I get the impression you don't see any problem and don't want to bother ]

Not at all, I'm very safety conscious, you only have one body.

My line of thought is to improve the kit available to make it safer.

By the way, what's the tip for getting axle stands placed underneath
without having to get underneath the car yourself bearing in mind that modern cars seem to have little or no accessible loading points? [/quote]

I have a scissor jack break on me while lifting a car (I wasnt even underneath it but the act of it breaking swump me round and knee went under car) - didnt break anything, but was on crutches for 3 weeks - and it HURT.

I'm paranoid now, so always use axle stands - they are so simple there is nothing to break, unlike some sort of mechanical arrangement on a trolley jack.

James

lift it up. Leave the wheels on (thus reducing the amount it can fall)

push the stands under without putting your head or body under the car or into the wheel arch.

Ease the jack down and watch that the stands are securely positioned.

If you need to remove wheelnuts, suspension fixings or anything else needing a lot of leverage, loosen them a a little before taking the vehicle off the ground (so your greatest leverage will not be applied when the vehicle is balanced on a jack or stands)

I'm sure that when the AA came to repair a driveshaft on my car the mechanic had a trolley jack with a toothed arm which locked onto the side ot the trolley jack once it was at the right height

yes that about right, but its not to be used instead of stands, like anything under pressure they tend to go and thats not what you want when your underneath a car..........squishhhhhhhh wot your thinkin about is a three tone trolley jack that locks but still its no safer than any other trolly jack.

if its the bottle type same again but used for hgv that has teeth and again i think they belong to the guy who used it as an axle stand

A trolley jack may be able to lock, but it's still got wheels on the bottom of it!

The wheels, if they do anything, make it less likely that the car will slide off the jack, but it can still topple sideways, and the jack can still lost pressure.

Sponsored Links
Back