Twin entry microbore rad not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer had a rad replaced which is twin entry microbore about 2 years ago. She says it has never worked.
So checked the obvious (the valve open), found it was getting slightly warm at the top, cold at the bottom, rad tails are warm. So turned off all rads except this one, still did not warm up. Checked with a magnet the rad tails, but they seemed ok.
Wrongly or rightly I could only conclude that it was sludged up as I bled it as well and it was fine.
Do you think that sentinel for a few weeks could shift the problem or would it be better to remove and flush the rad?
You opinions would be greatly welcomed as I have not dealt with the twin entry rads before.

Sponsored Links
If it`s an old valve the flow pipe might have broken off, it runs into the middle of the rad, if it has the water will take the easiest route straight out the return pipe. Best bet is to remove the rad and check all is well with the valve. I hate them with a vengance! :evil:

Thanks for that, I was hoping not to do that!!!!!!!"!! But that sounds reasonable. If it is broken can they be mended or is it a case for a new rad?

Rad will be fine, more likely the pipe has corroded so it won`t repair. Replace the valve, which unfortunately means a drain down unless you`ve a freezing kit. Hope you`re charging by the hour. Serves `em right for having those bl**dy stupid valves!

Sponsored Links
Freezing kit is at the ready, however my merchant has told me that you cannot get twin entry valves anymore is this right?

Never replaced one, ran pipework to both ends of rad and fitted a lovely trv and lockshield set on them. Because that`s how they should be in the first place!!!!!!! If a rad is made with 2 holes, it should have 2 pipes! Hope the bloke who designed them rots in hell! :mad:

Because, like me, you answer the phone, and get sucked in! From now on when you ask what the problem is never,ever,ever forget to ask if it`s microbore!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back