Type 1 hardcore and Gravel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this should be in Gardening, i couldnt decide...

I am going to shingle my front lawn. I will lay down 4 CM of Type 1 hardcore then on top of this i will lay down 4 CM of 20 mm Gravel.

The area i am going to do is about 3 M x 6 M.

Is 4 Cm per layer about right? (I want to use for parking).
How much Type 1 will i need ?
How Much gravel will I need ?

I have a feeling that 1 ton of Type 1 might be too much? Any help from those with experience appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That is not enough hard base under the shingle for car standing. I would go for a good 6" layer of you are going to do it right, well compacted with a heavy duty plate compactor.

As for amounts, go to pavingexpert.com for calculators for all that sort of thing.

if my maths is right thats a depth of about 225mm before compaction.

as for the gravel thats the same. Your car will sink in that and sparay it everywhere. Have a look on the site wabbit poo suggested its very helpful.

Thanks WabbitPoo thats an excellent site.

I found the calculator and did the following:

3 x 6 Meters = 18 Square Meters.
Sub base to be compaced to a depth of 150mm

Calculater says.....5.3 Tonnes.

I really was not expecting to need anywhere near that much!! Glad I asked now.

To be honest, I sincererly want to do a good job, but at roughly £30 a bag, ill be tempted to cut back a bit. Would 100 mm of Subbase be cutting back too far ?

Still need to read the site to see what they say..

Sponsored Links
it comapcts down quite a bit so you need more than you think. The more sub-base you put down the better the result and long term durability.

I note you liove in southampton. Dont buy it bagged from a builders merchant, theyll charge you an arm and a leg. Have a look in the local ads or yellow pages. There are loads of independent hauliers that will deliver the amount you need on a loose tipper, a lot cheaper.

Hi Thermo,

The calculator on the website takes into account the compacted amount required.

I am going to borrow a tool to compact it.

You are right about buying it. I am going to ring round a few places once im sure of the amount. (The area is not square, so im hoping ill need less than 18 SQ meters).

B&Q are £30 a ton + 20 delivery. Must be able to beat that!! LOL.

Which bit of the yellow pages will i find them under?

Should i ring agregate suppliers or hauliers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back