Type of wood i should use...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

I am creating an indoor/outdoor full growing suite for plants. here is my writeup of the aim if you want to read it, otherwise scroll down to my question:

Aim:
To create an environment where one or possibly more plants can be grown to their maximum potential, while requiring minimum manual maintenance. We will create an all-inclusive box that will provide correct temperature, water, air, CO2, nutrients and light leading to a near perfect crop because all of these things will be incorporated in appropriate ratios. We will be trying to accomplish this while keeping space requirements low and keeping costs to a minimal value.

The question I want to ask is what would be a good construction wood for this. It will most likely be buried outside, so i was thinking of getting standard MDF and then treating it with something (not sure what, any suggestions please). If not, what other materials are there (i know of marine ply-wood, but this is only a little project, 5' x 5' x 7', and i don't want to spend a lot on this wood)?

In advance, many thanks

jack

Sponsored Links
a55m0nk said:
Hey all.

I am creating an indoor/outdoor full growing suite for plants. here is my writeup of the aim if you want to read it, otherwise scroll down to my question:

Aim:
To create an environment where one or possibly more plants can be grown to their maximum potential, while requiring minimum manual maintenance. We will create an all-inclusive box that will provide correct temperature, water, air, CO2, nutrients and light leading to a near perfect crop because all of these things will be incorporated in appropriate ratios. We will be trying to accomplish this while keeping space requirements low and keeping costs to a minimal value.

The question I want to ask is what would be a good construction wood for this. It will most likely be buried outside, so i was thinking of getting standard MDF and then treating it with something (not sure what, any suggestions please). If not, what other materials are there (i know of marine ply-wood, but this is only a little project, 5' x 5' x 7', and i don't want to spend a lot on this wood)?

In advance, many thanks

jack

unless the use of wood is prescribed I would use polycarbonate with sanitary quality silicone sealant or polythene sheet over wire hoops.
Both methods will allow an enclosed controllable environment to be created and maintained and neither will be susceptiblle to rot or decay.
Also as they can be washed out and even sterilised between crops they are reuseable, with improves the price performance ratio.

if you need to use wood, use marine ply with suitable varnish, unless you can get free cedar or black locust wood, both of which are naturally resistant to rot and insect damage.

If you wish to use preservative consider a boron based preservative prior to varnishing.

"Where treatment [of wood] is unavoidable, we suggest a boron-based treatment. Inorganic borate offers the least risk to human health, is a naturally occurring mineral, and has a long history of use." (Source, AECB Yearbook 1999)

from the text you supplied, your not trying to culivate some marajuana, are you!! :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back