Tyre rotation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's

Just swapped my wheels around and noticed that I now have a front one with the directional arrow pointing in reverse.

How important is this in all honesty-is it just about water clearing?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
http://www.tst-tyres.co.uk/info.htm

Directional Arrows
Where a tyre has directional arrows moulded upon it, the tyre must be fitted so that the relevant front or rear arrow follows the direction of rotation. Road handling and tyre wear may worsen, or damage to the tyre can occur in extreme circumstances if these instructions are not followed.
HTH.

Very very dangerous if wrong. They have a direction arrow for a reason. Basically when driving in the wet, the tires force the water out to the edge of the tyre giving you maximum grip to the road. If fitted the wrong way round they will push the water to the middle of the tire which will result in the tyre leaving the road. You will end up with no steering or breaks until the speed of the vehicle is slowed down. Normally by a tree or a rear of another car. You also will have no insurance.

Sponsored Links
but surely the cure is simple, just move it to the other side :rolleyes:

just given it more thought, works fine.

he must have a unidirectional spare.

:confused: The wheels on the offside of my car go clockwise, the wheels on the nearside go anti-clockwise (when travelling forwards). :confused: Am I losing my mind? :( Or are you saying get the tyre switched round on the rim?

yeah...

so if e.g. the tyre on the LHS is going the wrong way, it needs to be moved to the RHS (with its wheel).

If he has three anti-clockwise tyres and two clockwise tyres, one of the anti-clockwise tyres has to go in the boot as a spare (though it would be better to have a symmetrical spare, as it is impractical to carry both a clockwise spare and an anticlockwise spare)

If you jack the car up and turn the wheel half a turn it should make the arrows point the correct way wont it? Problem solved? :eek: :LOL:

If you really really want to use the tyre where it is, take it to the local garage and get them to swop it around on the rim.

r.bartlett said:
How important is this in all honesty-is it just about water clearing?
No - you're breaking construction and use regulations. You risk prosecution and a void insurance policy.

Sponsored Links
Back