Tyrolean rendering - lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long is Tyrolean rendering expected to last? I realise it will vary with weather conditions etc, but a company which supplies a contemporary exterior render says that it could be as little as 5 years. Is he correct? Is this just scaremongering, so that I'll buy his stuff instead? (His company is Protectacoat by the way)

Sponsored Links
i helped my dad put tyrolean finnish on his[our] house
when i was about 16 [not bad for a train driver and his son]

im now 50 and its still intact

marcos1 said:
How long is Tyrolean rendering expected to last? I realise it will vary with weather conditions etc, but a company which supplies a contemporary exterior render says that it could be as little as 5 years. Is he correct? Is this just scaremongering, so that I'll buy his stuff instead? (His company is Protectacoat by the way)

Hi Marcus1,
Exterior decorative finishes last until they stop protecting the wall !
Tyrolean isn't a render coat, it is a finish coat to render.

If your existing tyrolean is sound and remains waterproof why remove it ?
If it isn't doing the job then suspect additional cracked, or blown render ... which may have to be removed and replaced before any decorative finish is applied.
With this in mind I'd be looking to compare quotes from professional plasterers ... with the necessary experience of exterior rendering.
Protectacoat .... from East Sussex ?
[/u]

Sponsored Links
Protectacoat are well known for high pressure selling, allegedly. (have to be careful what i say)
They tell you they make their product but they do not.

It is made by wethertex, but admittedly it is quite good, but only if it is applied in the correct way and to a house which is suitable. (they will ruin the appearance opf a historic house, just to get a sale). Also they get a £1,000 commission when they sign you up on finance in addition to the commission paid to the salesman.

Also their "factory" in peterborough is a lie.

They only rent the front of the building and a bit out the back, the rest (which is out of the picture) is actually a car repair garage.

They have a massive high turnover of staff too.

Exterior coatings are a good thing, but be VERY careful who you choose. Why not look at a spray applied system instead.

As far as tyrolean, most tytrolean WILL only last 5 years but there are exceptions to that. Most coatings will last between 10 and 30 years depending on the company that does it and if they actually do it properly.

Hope this is of help

Post suspended

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back