Unable to access Belkin website through IE7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a slight problem when trying to access http://www.belkin.com . If I try to access it normally then I just get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". If I try to access it via the AOL browser it works fine. With AOL in the background IE can access it no probs. I use a Netgear DG834GT wireless modem router at address 192.168.0.1 . I have the my network card configured as follows:
networkzc4.jpg

I have tried my laptop with similar results (laptop address is 192.168.0.3 or 4).
Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Any reason for using a static ipaddress and DNS?

Have you tried to ping it?

I started using static IPs as some my laptop used to disconnect when the desktop came online and vice versa. I also have a NAS device which I setup as static so I could block internet traffic to and from it (don't know if I really needed to??)

Pinging it gave the same result - (I tried google first to prove ping works.):
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>ping www.google.co.uk

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.102.9.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=243
Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=243
Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=243
Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 66.102.9.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 100ms, Average = 59ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>ping www.belkin.com

Pinging world.belkin.com [205.166.232.45] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 205.166.232.45:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>
I'm half suspecting the firewall in the router, lets say a bit of unfair competition!!
Is it worth trying a different router, I have a netgear DG834G somewhere?

Not a computer expert at all, other than I've spent many frustrating hours getting my wireless network to work :rolleyes: 4 of my PC's always work and one always takes a day or two to get connected :rolleyes:

Have you checked it isn't a security setting in IE7 causing this, or maybe a conflict between windows firewall and any independent one you may have, if they are both turned on?

Sponsored Links
On the desktop windows firewall is disabled, McAfee firewall is enabled but as far as I can see, is not manageable.
On the laptop the windows firewall is disabled and Zone alarm is enabled.
Had a look through IE settings and can't see any which would stop access to such an innocent site.

Seeing that you can ping other external addresses, and I can ping Belkin, I would look at the firewalls. You need to disable them all or, better still, remove them altogether.

The only problem is if I remove the firewall from the desktop I don't have a disk or anything to re-install it, got it as a download from McAfee but my McAfee downloads have now disappeared!!
Will have a go with the laptop on Monday, might take it to a mates house and try it there to see if it works with his connection first.
Thanks

There's very little point in relying on software that you can never reinstall, and the fact that it's a firewall doubles the problem.

As Igorian has already said or implied, you should start with a sensible configuration and then see if you still have problems.

You have a NAT router, so ditch McAfee, ZoneAlarm, and everything else that calls itself a firewall. Set your LAN clients to use DHCP, and reset all IE settings to the default. Reboot both the PC and the router, then see if you can get a ping reply from the Belkin web server.

I use to use Zone alarm pro, but this started giving me problems with access to the internet for some unknown reason. I removed it and changed to Norton. Since then all my problems have been solved.

Cheers, I don't mind playing about with the laptop so much as playing about with the desktop - McAfee is also Virus Scan. I ought to email McAfee about the downloads disappearing from my account anyway (probably downloaded it too many times for a 3 user license :eek: ).
I installed zone alarm on the laptop as I can connect it to other locations which I don't know if they have a network firewall, though I will try removing it to see if it works then re-install it again. Will also try the DHCP thing, I take it you can have static addresses with DHCP turned on, mainly for the NAS?
Thanks

Just a thought.

Have you tried using Firefox? So much better and more secure than IE.

Apologies, this doesn't solve your problem, but might offer an alternative solution.

Spark123 said:
Will also try the DHCP thing, I take it you can have static addresses with DHCP turned on, mainly for the NAS?
Thanks
Please could you rephrase?

Even better, please don't use static addresses.

OK, one reason to use static addresses was so I can hide my NAS (Network attached storage) behind the Netgear Firewall. If the NAS had a dynamic address then it would be almost impossible. To do this I gave it a static address of 192.168.0.9 and blocked access to the internet to that address in the Netgear settings.

I have just tried disabling the windows firewall with no other software firewall installed, enabled DHCP, set PC to obtain address automatically, DNS automatically and still cannot ping or access www.belkin.com . I am suspecting the Netgear firewall, what do you think?

Spark123 said:
OK, one reason to use static addresses was so I can hide my NAS (Network attached storage) behind the Netgear Firewall. If the NAS had a dynamic address then it would be almost impossible.
There's nothing to stop you allocating a static address to the NAS, and choosing one outside the DHCP server address pool. There's no reason for the other LAN clients to have static addresses, and lots of reasons not to.

I have just tried disabling the windows firewall with no other firewall installed, enabled DHCP, set PC to obtain address automatically, DNS automatically and still cannot ping or access www.belkin.com . I am suspecting the Netgear firewall, what do you think?
Leaving aside the fact that I thought you were using a Belkin router, I think that I would start tracing packets to see what's going on.

Trying with Firefox (as someone has suggested) is a good way of determining whether or not it's just IE.

It shouldn't just be an IE problem, because you can't ping it from a command prompt. However, that doesn't explain why the AOL browser works, although I know they have their own methods of doing things.

Open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS, just in case you have some corruption in the cache.

Failing that, you may have some kind of corruption of the TCP stack. Try doing a google for TCP fix and downloading the fix software, which will reset some registry stuff.

Sponsored Links
Back