Unconnected telephone point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In our new house we have our main phone socket in the living room and two additional points in the upstairs bedrooms. Only one of these works ...

When I opened up the master socket (the NTE5 I believe) there are two cables - one has connections to the top half of the master socket and the other has connections to the lower bit I've unscrewed. This I guess is the connection to the socket upstairs which does work.

What I'm wondering is ... how do I find where the cable from the non-working socket goes to ? It's connected to the upstairs telephone point and disappears down the cavity in the wall - how I do I find where it goes and then connect it to the master socket ?

Many thanks,

Ally.

Sponsored Links
it would be connected to the other workin socket. how many cables are in that one?

Thanks for that - had a quick look and there's only one cable in there :(

Any chance the cable might drop down from the upstairs bedroom and be lurking under the floor downstairs ??

Thanks again,

Ally.

only one way to find out. how far apart are the 2 upstairs outlets?mite be easier puttin a new cable between them.

Sponsored Links
there are two ways to find a cable:

cable tracer

follow the cable

but as suggested it is often quicker to install a new cable

There's probably about 20-30 feet between the points - wouldn't have a clue about how to intall a new cable so that's why I was wondering where the current one disappears to.

Might sound like a stupid question, but how do I follow the cable when it's behind the platerboard walls ?

Any advice is appreciated !

Ally.

great dificulty. unless you want to rip walls down. go to B&Q and get some phone cable and re-wire the not workin outlet. it aint that hard to wire. for cables are colour coded, just make sure you have the same wire to each terminal between the 2 outlets

ally_b said:
Might sound like a stupid question, but how do I follow the cable when it's behind the platerboard walls ?

its not a stupid question, you cant follow them (in your case) , which is also why i suggested install a new cable.

you can also get the cable at maplin

ally_b said:
Hi,

In our new house we have our main phone socket in the living room and two additional points in the upstairs bedrooms. Only one of these works ...

When I opened up the master socket (the NTE5 I believe) there are two cables - one has connections to the top half of the master socket and the other has connections to the lower bit I've unscrewed. This I guess is the connection to the socket upstairs which does work.

What I'm wondering is ... how do I find where the cable from the non-working socket goes to ? It's connected to the upstairs telephone point and disappears down the cavity in the wall - how I do I find where it goes and then connect it to the master socket ?

Many thanks,

Ally.

Master sockets have yellow capacitors on the rear and terminals 2,3 & 5 should be connected, secondary units have no capacitor and terminals 3 & 5 only are used. Check the terminals used.

what the provopis poster has said is plain wrong

into your house come two wires theese go to terminals 2 and 5 on a master socket or A and B on the rear section of a NTE5

fomr the master socket to the extention 3 wires are needed connecting terminals 2 3 and 5

if your master socket is a NTE5 then theese wires to the extention sockets are connected to the bottom section (as in your case)

with a non-nte5 master you are supposed to use a plug in adaptor but i've never heared of anyone getting in any real trouble for taking thier own wires to the relavent terminals on the back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back