Under Cupboard Lights - PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some halogen downlights to sit under my kitchen units to shine on the worktop below.

No problem I hear you say, but all the ones I can find need to be pluged into a socket - I want to find some that I can run from a ceiling rose and turned on using a conventional lightswitch- can anyone suggest a supplier of such lights?

Sponsored Links
most of them can, just depends how you wire them and their design

Some come with a transformer after the plug, obviously to convert the current, but what will the difference be connecting to the ceiling rose rather than off a spur? and what about the fuse provided by the plug?

(sorry not wishing to be "insert word" )if it has a plug you plug it in, the transformer changes the voltage for low voltage lights (some are mains) if you get low voltage, make sure transformer is suitable for dimming as you will no doubt want to dim them later. The plug top fuse is there to prevent overload etc, by wiring them into you standard ceiling rose, this circuit is protected by a 6A mcb or 5A fuse so no other fuse is required, but if you plug them into a socket, then a fuse is required, you could also put an fcu onto the ring, but i digress

does this help / explain?

Sponsored Links
Hi

I don't want them to be dimable, just switched off and on at the wall like the ceiling lights, but what I am trying to ask is will the transformer work OK if it is wired into a ceiling rose, or does it have to be powered from the mains ring?

Yes, as breezer said, it will be fine, so long as you dont have so many lights you overload your lighting circuit. As suggested its probably 5A fuse or 6a breaker, so if your total lighting load is more than say 1000 Watts you may run into trouble. Probably best to make it a normal cieling rose, so if its ever changed its obvious what is happening.

Hi

Its only going to be 6 x 20w lights, 2 lights under 3 cupboards

hi
if you buy a kit with a plug on it check size of fuse, say 3 Amp. From your ceiling rose run cable to a single socket above cupboard plug cable into it, job done, if your cable wont reach socket cut off plug extend cable with junction box / cable and fit new plug inserting a 3 Amp fuse into it.

A little off your point, but 20W halogens are hot. Don't keep your butter dish on the shelf above the lights else the butter melts: similar problems with honey, chocolate etc. 10W are much better and plenty bright enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back