Under floorboard rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I'm hoping that some of you experienced people may be able to advise me on an issue.

I've just lifted some floor boards to carry out some electrical work in my front room. Under the floorboards there is about a 3 foot drop to the concrete base. This base is quite moist, the sleeper walls are moist and the joists are rotting badly, a tap with a screw driver easily makes them crumble. There is also a musty smell to the room. There are airbricks all around the front of the bay.

When i asked my neighbour to have a look (i've only been here for 3yrs) he said that a few years ago in winter he had a water level under both his front and back room but has left it till he can be bothered!!!
Other neighbours have had same problem (only 6 houses down the Grove). Apparently there use to be a ditch at the front of the house that ran for a few miles but the council filled it in. I don't have a water level but everything under the floor is definitley saturated and i need a total new under floor structure.
My neighbour was saying that he's going to take bricks out of the sleeper wall and install joists with ,metal brackets so the damp isn't passing through the wall and onto the wood.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I'll be getting in touch with a builder first thing tomorrow.

Regards

Sam

Sponsored Links
it wont cure it, but have you air bricks at the back?

you need a flow through not just bricks at one end

Yes, there's air bricks at the back too.

Wonder if filling it in with concrete would be a possibility?

Try to find the cause of the water first, is all your guttering in good order? are drains working fine? do you have soakaways? do downpipes from gutters go straight onto drains or exit onto lawn? any burst pipes under flooring?

Sponsored Links
Well, the builders been and there are no leaks from any pipes and all guttering etc is fine. Apparently, this is quite a common problem in my area and he said the best bet is to just put a solid floor in. As he's soon to be doing an extension at my house then both suspended floors will be done when he starts the building. Super!

Thanks for your ideas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back