Undercupboard kitchen lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently finished my Kitchen but didn't bother putting any undercupboard lighting in although i have made provision for it.An electician came in and placed a plug socket above the cupboards to plug the extracter in and spured off this is a FCU which i am to wire my lights into.
The lights i am thinking of getting are the Fluorescent tube type.Up to five can be connected to one another via a 0.5mtr length wire connector.Problem is i want one of the lights the other side of my extracter which would need at least 2 mtrs of connector.Is it possible to make these connectors up.
The wire from the light to the mains is about 2 mtrs long.So could i wire both sets of lights into the FCU.

Sponsored Links
ah, this is the main problem with these setups, since they usually use plugs and sockets that aren't seperately available (afaik). How were you going to cross the extractor gap? along the wall? :confused: It is cheaper and looks much neater to use seperate shop-bought flourescents and cable and make up your own circuit.

However, what you could do is wire another cable into that spur, and run this acros the top of the extractor and down to the light on another chain.

Sorry didn't explain too well.Say i'm just fitting 2 lights.Can i wire them both into a FCU directly.ie 2 brown wires and 2 blue wires going into the FCU.I think this is what you have saidf but just being sure.Only problem here is the lights would have to be individualy switched (maybe not a problem) Or do i need 2 FCU units for 2 lights.What i ideally want would be to switch all the lights on my one flick of a switch.
I could make my own curcuit but am being lazy and wanted to plug in and go.

yes

wiring them into the same FCU is just the same as wiring one after the other - same load on the same switch.

as far as i know, these lights are individually switched and even if you do daisy chain them, the first light's switch still only controls the first light. They are independant no matter which way you wire them. An external switch is needed if you need to turn them all off at once.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.That will be good enough.I will get on with it at the weekend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back