Underfelt too tight now weather is cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, my first post so please be gentle.

Anyway, I'm building myself a garage, 5 x 6 metres, with a pitched tiled roof, concrete block walls. I've designed and built it all myself, using the internet and various sources for info. I've not fitted the tiles yet, as I've been away working, but they are in the garden ready.

So, the problem, I nailed the felt on and battened it in the hot weather in April, and it had a fair sag between the rafters, maybe 1", but I now find it is pulled tight in the cooler weather. When it rains water leaks through around the nail/batten points, as it is getting trapped and pooling because the felt is taught against the battens.

I have a plan to run a length of thin nylon rope down centrally between felt and battens, to make a gap for any water that may leak in to escape down the roof and out the bottom. Any opinions on doing this? is it a daft idea? I really really don't want to pull all the battens off to run the felt looser.

The underfelt is called something like Klober spantech light, can't remember exactly, but it is non permeable.

A piccie:

Allroofbattenson.jpg
:oops:

Sponsored Links
How about lengths of plastic pipe. 15mm should do the trick, and is more likely to stay put than rope. Drill small pilot holes thru batten and pipe and stick some screws in to hold it in place.

Nice looking workshop btw. Did you build the trusses yourself? I am soon to be reroofing my garage and was thinking along similar lines.

I wouldn't worry too much as it's a garage, correctly fitted roof tiles should be trouble free for years.

I just spoke to a guy in the roofing place I bought my tiles from and he said there shouldn't be any leaks with the interlocking tiles I'm using, so my worries might be for nothing. Fingers crossed ;)

Deluks, I built the trusses in place, but if I did it again I'd definitly buy them ready made, as it would save a thousand trips up and down a ladder building them. It was interesting, but sheer hard work hammering a million nails in and handballing the timber up.

Insideviewofroof.jpg

Insideroof.jpg

Sponsored Links
Morrisman said:
Deluks, I built the trusses in place, but if I did it again I'd definitly buy them ready made, as it would save a thousand trips up and down a ladder building them. It was interesting, but sheer hard work hammering a million nails in and handballing the timber up.
It's cheaper to have it made as the stress calulation will use smaller timber ;)

Nice pis, thanks for the inspiration.
They look pretty hefty, is it all done in 6x2? Nice storage area too, how much headroom is up there? or is it a case of stick your head up there and shove things about from the ladder?

masona said:
Morrisman said:
It's cheaper to have it made as the stress calulation will use smaller timber ;)
I cheated, and got a quote, which involved them sending me a blueprint of exactly what they were going to build. :cool:

Deluks said:
Nice pis, thanks for the inspiration.
They look pretty hefty, is it all done in 6x2? Nice storage area too, how much headroom is up there? or is it a case of stick your head up there and shove things about from the ladder?

It is all 2 x 6 timber, treated and kiln dried. There is just 4' max headroom in the centre, but ample to crawl about in. I plan to buy plastic wheeled boxes for storing stuff in, so one can slide into every 'slot' between the rafters.

I got some tiles on today, not as difficult as I thought it would be.

Tilesnearlyfinished.jpg

Looking grand. Why the glass bricks. security reasons?

Couldn't scan those blueprints in could ya ;)

Deluks said:

I'm still in two minds about whether the glass blocks were a good way to have tough windows, with a bit of insulation and minimal expense, or whether they make it look like a public toilet...... :oops:

Blueprints? I'd have to draw some first mate ;)

Morrisman said:
Deluks said:

I'm still in two minds about whether the glass blocks were a good way to have tough windows, with a bit of insulation and minimal expense, or whether they make it look like a public toilet...... :oops:

Blueprints? I'd have to draw some first mate ;)
All tiles now on, ridge tiles included. I used the Kobar dry ridge system, which seems pretty agricultural to tell the truth. I also mortared the verges.

Next thing is to look up the 'rendering' and 'wiring' section of this website :D

Well, the roof has been tiled and complete for about a week now, through some of the most horrendous heavy rain I have seen in years in England, and I have just a couple of slight 'runs' coming down the underfelt on the outside, but nothing at all coming inside the roof area itself. Two of the runs are right near the verges, where my rubbishy mortaring has probably left some gaps. Another is just inboard of the gable end, but it is so slight I can't even locate it inside the roof, by looking and feeling inside the felt from the inside, so as long as it gets no worse I'm not worried. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back