Underfloor heating nearly done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a grade 2 listed cottage in burnley. Had it over 3 years and well..taking my time to finish it :LOL:

Main job at the moment is the underfloor heating downstairs.. all the flags had to come up, then i dug out 8 tonne of earth by hand ( kitchne had concrete actually which i had to break up) and into the skip.

On sunday finally got the pips connected and running after levelling the floor and laying isulation etc etc

02102006164.jpg

04102006176.jpg

18112006318.jpg

04112006300.jpg

25112006328.jpg

25112006331.jpg

25112006333.jpg

26112006338.jpg

Now i just need 100mm of screed or so..cba doing it myself as just want it sorting. Now ive had a guy round who says it will be £400 for the front room and £300 for the kitchen..anyone out there know their prices?

Just wana make sure its a fair enough price, i know for the front their will be at least 4 tonne of screed then labour..and a bit less for kitchen as smaller etc.. any screeders on here?

cheers. dan

Sponsored Links
hello
dan the lad :)

just out of interest how much did you get for them flags ...? (bet they funded the substrate ,oh yes ...lol )

regarding prices post a question in building forum , an give *full* advice what this bloke is quoting for room specs an does he supply materials an labour ?
;)

the flags are still in the kitchen as only place i can leave them safely so doing the floor in 2 parts..once front room set ill move the flags into the front and get the kitchen underfloor sorted.

cheers for advice :D

my other worry is ...
have you contacted a corgi regd gas fitter ,
if mains are gas fired an Gas Cent boiler .....

electric heating ok .... in a small 3x2 bathroom
(personally , get reports its tooo much )

the thing is a big area ....

it heats ,
but is a dead area ..
you leave it watch corrie st ...

all my tiling life ...
Ive never been a fan of UFH , its a fAD ...

THE COST TO HEAT DOESNT OUTWAY THE NOVELTY ... AS RADS fact ...

Sponsored Links
btw bfym
I know your doing the wet method ......the majority electric ..arent
wet system
just dont think that area is ok ,builders say that....
om another note ... dont accept less than £20 ,(more for them...40 )
a square metre ..lol

take care
best regards
moz

:) I thought it was just me who didnt understand Moz. Feel better now knowing im not alone.

He started out ok with the early posts but then lost me halfway through.

dan the man/diyisfree
regarding my *tired* posts ...
cheeky munkies ....hmm
you will get to understand it after awhile ,lol

I was saying get your boiler done by a corgi lad ,
and underfloor heating the electric method can be expensive in big areas compared to rads ... although yours is wet method ...

dont accept less than £20 ,(more for them...40 )
is price for the flags

Cheers Moz, i understand now, honest !

Can someone translate what he just posted please ????

Only joking moz.

Dan The Man

Thanks for providing photos, lot of work there mate!!

I was most intrigued by the pic showing one lifted flag. I have similar flags to these in the back reception room of my early 1900's terrace.

I would love to know what is underneath these, can you please let me know what was under the flags? Looks like rocks, dirt etc. If you could clarify that for me I'd appreciate it.

If this is the case for me then I am probably looking at something very similar in terms of digging out, levelling, DPM, insulating, screed (whatever the order is). A not insignificant job, but I suppose I want it done right. One other suggestion was to get asphalt put over the top of the flags but I'm concerned this will stink to high heaven as we live in the place.

lol @diyisfree ;)

AndersonC
have you lifted one an seen as all areas are different , general rule was clay mud...then cobbles linked an sand top coat ...
btw you building control officer is a wealth of info an advice ;)

Dan,

Just looked and read your post in more detail. All i can say is well done doing so much yourself mate. By the way i'm in Blackburn ( hope your not a football fan)

You have broken the back of what is quite a big job and i'm surprised you are giving up. Come on mate you could have it finished this weekend :)

Have a few pint's of the local brew (moorhouses) and get it cracked off..

You going to sandblast and point the walls or render ? I did a cottage in Knuzden a few weeks ago and pointed all the random stone on the stairs. We removed a load of plasterboard that revealed a georgeous fireplace in the living room. I bricked the back in an herringbone pattern and it looked awesome.

Anyway, good luck mate and very well done so far..

diyisfree

well said I applaud dan here he has broke the back of the job ... an he aint a quitter like many may think reading this here ..
he aint a quitter ...
he did the hard work , he could quite easily got "euro eddies" in given them the spade an had them do it ....well done fella ...:) :)

an as far as blackburn , like my wasters Man city :(

btw coming over them hills Blackburns just like Royston Varsey ....:) :)

blookin heck just realised all the new posts :LOL: :oops:

Im in burnley and NO not arsed about footie..if no engine in it then dosent matter. :LOL:

I havnt given up, the floor is now screeded, i need to crack on with the kitchen of the same. But kind of a wasted weekend as had other stuff to do so not much done this weekend. Floor seems to work tho :D

As for anderson C

My house is nearly 300 years old and im not sure at what point in time they were laid. But underneath mine was ASH from fires etc..what they used to bed them on them days. Had to clean it off the rear of the flags with the drill chipper etc and shovel all the loose up which was easy. The the soil is the hard bit but bit by bit u get there and save yourself some cash. Its just time..all takes time pal :D

As for other posts sand and cement rendering the walls prob to combat any damp that might decide to try and appear. There is none and hasnt been any for over 3 years since ive had it.

Stone chimney will be built with log burner in and that will be the only stone in front room as a focal pint etc..other bits are the beams holding the house up and opver doors as all been blasted.

Heres a pic for people who enjoy stuff like this showing before and after the BATHROOM. amazing what ya can do if u have bit of vision- all my own work..tiling, suite, plumbing. :D

OLD

2003_0806Image0108.jpg

new 4 piece with shower to the right out of shot.

bathroomsmall.jpg

Moz said:
my other worry is ...
have you contacted a corgi regd gas fitter ,
if mains are gas fired an Gas Cent boiler .....

and PS..

ONLY GAS qualification i dont have is Boats which i aint bothered about so i think im qualified enough :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back