Underfloor Heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any experience of underfloor (wet) heating?

We have an opportunity to fit it before the 3" screed is laid but I keep getting mixed responses from Plumbers.

I know its more difficult to install compared to rads but does it have any long term problems?

Also, what about electric underfloor heating. Is that really a cost effective alternative?

Sponsored Links
Main feature is slow response, but a pleasant source of heat. Lots of kits and advice from manufacturers, eg polyplumb - stacks of others.

Don't know much about tit except there's the wrong way of doing it - where full temp boiler water goes round unchecked (so your floor could go up to 80C which alarms the cat) and the better ways which either control/blend the water to keep its temp sensible, or use sensors in the floor.

When I do my bathroom it'll be electric!

ChrisR said:
When I do my bathroom it'll be electric!

Possibly a considerably lower whole-life cost: people often forget the cost of servicing and repair when pricing up the cheapness of gas-fired heating systems.

My local W***es shed has a demo system by its check-outs. It is very warm and pleasant to put your hand on whilst waiting.

I fitted electric in the bathroom. just role out and wire in (all instructions are on the box).
U'll have to buy the one for concrete floor.
As i recall u can buy underfloor heating just for confort ( keeps tiles warm underfoot) or u can buy it to replace the rads.
I guess its a gamble as to which is more reliable but i'd go again with electric.

Sponsored Links
If initial cost is an issue, then an electric system is cheaper to install.

With an electric system you have 2 choices - heating mat or cable.

If you still have a floor screed to lay, then cable is the best solution.

It will act like a big storage heater, so if you use economy 7 tariff, it will be cheaper to run.

Installing a good amount of insulation will improve heat time and reduce bills.

With regard to cost, the material cost for a 10m2 area is between £200-£250.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back